o n e

CHAPTER ONE

"I LOVE YOU SWEET PEA !!"

⊱ ────── {⋅. ♪ .⋅} ────── ⊰

eleanor jane hopper is a quiet girl. she has two true friends, maxine mayfield and william byers. el prefers to spend her time reading or quietly hanging out with max or will, her two roommates.

her porcelain skin is dotted with freckles in various places.

she is twenty-one years old, and she goes to college in chicago.

el was definitely not popular in junior high and high school. she stayed out of drama, and she stuck to herself.

⊱ ────── {⋅. ♪ .⋅} ────── ⊰

the small café that eleanor hopper works at is full of hungry customers.

shes been yelled at four times in the past three hours, for christs sake!

she works the counter, and she currently smells of coffee beans and vanilla.

she sighs heavily as she types in the customer infront of her's order.

"excuse me, young lady. is something wrong?" the grumpy woman standing infront of her says.

"no ma'am. just a long day." el takes a deep breath.

"well, you are surely going to loose business if you treat customers this way." her face stuck in what seems like, a permanent scowl.

"if you have a problem, there is a Starbucks right down the street who would be happy to make your carmel macchiato." el rolled her eyes.

"five ninety nine, please." she continued.

the gray haired lady rolled her eyes before handing eleanor her card.

⊱ ────── {⋅. ♪ .⋅} ────── ⊰

el was now sitting in the break room, a cold lavender vanilla latte occupying one hand, her phone in the other.

her phone began ringing, she looked at the contact to find her best friend, and roommate, max calling her.

el answered before placing the device to her ear.

"hello?" el said into the phone.

"hey el! wanna hangout with me and some new friends tonight at their dorm?" max's voice rung through el's ears.

"oh. uhm— im at work right now and i kinda wanted to stay home tonight." el said warily, while she loved maxine with all of her heart, sometimes she could be— scary. to say the least.

"oh, come on! we never do anything fun." max whined, her voice filled with manipulation.

"we have very different views of fun, max. hanging out at some rando's dorm isnt fun." el sipped her latte.

"you think sitting in our apartment and reading is fun." max cocked her eyebrow.

"cause' it is!" el took offense.