⤹34❁ Even from

Hello! I'm very excited to publish this chapter. We are getting very close to the end of this book, which also means, the end of the 17 Series. I hope you like it.

__________

"I-" Nathan scratches his head. "I really don't know what to say, Davina. Apart from the fact that I'm sorry."

"Which part are you sorry for? The one where she's dead or the one where she was a monster?" I throw sarcastically yet grimly, getting up from the bathroom floor.

Nathan places his hands on my shoulders and looks me in the eye. "The one where you didn't get to know her," he says sadly. "I know how much you've always dreamt about having a sibling."

My heart aches because it's true. Since I was a little girl, I have ever so often told my parents about how much I would have loved them to have another baby. Someone I could have played with and disclosed my secrets to. They faces fell each time I said it, and now I understand why. Because I could have had it all, if only they hadn't got rid of Beverly.

I did have a sister.

"It's just so unfair," I mutter in a bitter voice. "Everything is being taken away from me and it's being taken in the worst way possible. By death."

"Not everything," Nathan says in response. "I'm still here."

I smile but then a dark cloud spawns upon my head. Nathan must've noticed the fear in my eyes as he continues.

"I'm not going to die, Davina. I mean, well, yeah, probably when I'm eighty and barely walking but-"

I shake my head. "You don't know that."

He gives me a rebuking look. "Don't you even dare to think this way. You're not the one because of whom it's happened. You didn't know Beverly, and your parents were in an accident. It's called an accident for a reason, Davina, because it doesn't happen on purpose." His stare is unbreakable. "Okay?"

I let out a sigh. "Okay," I mutter.

"Good. Now how about you cleanse your mouth so I can give you a kiss, hm?" He smiles slightly.

I roll my eyes and walk towards the sink. As I grab my toothbrush, I notice Nathan's reflection in the mirror. "I'm just brushing my teeth. I'll be fine."

"Okay." He shoots me a faint smile. "I'll wait in the other room."

I grip my hands on the sink and exhale. Then I squeeze out some toothpaste and proceed to brush my teeth. As I'm doing so, my head gets swarmed with thoughts. Thoughts about how my parents managed to keep this a secret for so many years, and who else might know about what they had done.

Will.

Connor.

Nicole.

Will's mum.

My family.

Will.

Connor.

Will.

Connor.

Connor.

Connor.

A real feeling of anger starts to bolt through my veins. I spit out the toothpaste and quickly wash out the remnants of it from my mouth.

Energized by the adrenaline, I sprint out of the bathroom, straight in the direction of the door.

Nathan jolts off the bed. "Where are you going?"