⤹21❁ The explanations

Hello everyone! There might be a little break before the updates (few days tops I believe) as I'm working during the mornings now and it exhausts me. Thank you for always coming back for more!

__________

𝓓𝓪𝓿𝓲𝓷𝓪

It's been a fantastic week. Nathan and I spent even more time together, and regardless of the significant question never making it to reality, the question that I've been repeatedly envisioning in my head, which would establish the relation between us, I was still happy.

And then Will came knocking on my door.

At first I assumed that he came up with some sort of a reason of why I should give him another chance, but my train of thought got quickly altered. He asked me to gather everyone involved in that indelible night, which regarded Cassie's death and the drugs, and then he informed us about the idea that he'd implemented and how it had panned out.

I would be lying if I said that I didn't lose my shit.

"What the fuck were you even thinking!?" I shouted at him.

Nathan calmed me down and said that we shouldn't blame Will as his intentions were genuine. He just wanted to do good.

The problem didn't lie in the murder itself, it lay in the fact that when the police had arrived, they'd found the recording with our names on it — Rayna's, Connor's, Will's and mine.

They were going to interrogate us. They have already questioned Will, who had stormed into Michael's so called office not long after he'd received the phone call from Anaya.

They wanted to know why we didn't report our suspicions as to the drugs having been sneaked into Cassie's room, or at least that's what I initially presumed.

Fortunately, I was wrong, and Will wasn't a total idiot, so he had thought a lot of things ahead. He'd informed the detective, whom he'd hired to follow Anaya around, who still worked for him, about his idea. To our delight, the man had spoken to the police about the investigation he'd been handling, way before it had even started. Will was with him that day. Apparently, after Will had explained Anaya's obsession in detail, including her approach towards me, they'd recovered my parents' report from the day someone had broken into our house. The police connected the dots well enough to allow the investigation to take place without their interference, unless of course it'd become a necessity. All they wanted in return was a frequent update on the whole process, so they would be in possession of the reports in case of misconduct or the investigation's successful outcome, which meant obtaining the desired information from the suspect, AKA Anaya. That being said, the police basically teamed up with the detective.

Furthermore, Michael, sadly lost to the malevolent acts of that insane bitch, agreed to work for Will and his detective by signing a contract, which luckily stated that the employee was fully aware of any harm that might have come his way, including death, throughout the period of the undertaken duty, and had no objections against it nor has him or his family had the right to sue his employer if such events took place.

As crazy as Will's idea was, he put us first and made sure none of us would end up in trouble no matter what. We just had to answer a few questions, which would only cement the reasonings behind the investigation and provide more evidence that would fill the gaps in the reports that would then be used against Anaya during a trial. Because yes, there would be one at some point in the future and all of us would probably receive a letter to turn up at a court to testify.

"You just have to say that Anaya must've mentioned your names in the recording because she suspected you all to have known about her obsession by then," Will said. "Davina, you knew about Cassie's struggle with drugs from Anaya, which is not going to be a surprise that you shared this information with your friends. This also covers our reasoning for suspecting Anaya as she was the only person we knew was aware of Cassie's addiction and home address. And as for you, Connor, you've got nothing to worry about. She'll definitely testify that you set her up with a fake counselor, but the police already knew that there would be a friend giving us a hand with starting the investigation. My detective made sure to have it all under control."

And that was it. As aggravated as we were, we had no choice but to accept the circumstances. It was all very flimsy if anyone asked me, after all there were so many things that could've gone wrong but gladly didn't. At least the cause was great. The murderer was under arrest. Anaya was going to rot in jail.

When the talk finally came to an end, everyone disgorged from the room and headed to their dorms. Nathan stayed with me for a while whilst Rayna left with Connor, still upset about him having a hand in Will's mastermind.

Eventually, even Nathan excused himself as he needed some rest.

Later that evening, I found a little note that got slid into my dorm through the gap under the door. I almost couldn't believe my eyes.

"Sorry I haven't replied to your message. I think it's better if I remain unknown. Here if you need someone to talk to.

Your cemetery friend."

__________

Thank you for reading!
Please do comment x