⤹30❁ Henry

Hello again! I just wanted to say thank you to those who are always here once the chapter comes out! Please comment under this section to be in the list of dedication for the next chapter!

__________

"Wait." Nathan's voice gains a hesitant note.

A frown settles across my forehead. "Yes?"

"I can't. I mean, we can't."

I cast a look that pleads for explanation.

"Henry," he clarifies hastily. "I need to go back. I need to take him home."

Oh.

"Shoot. I'm so sorry." I shake my head, apologetic. I don't even know how I managed to forget about Henry so fast. Well, I actually do know, but Nathan's beauty and involuntary charm are hard to resist. "Let's better get going then."

"Yeah," he agrees, pivoting on his heel and darting in the direction of the exit. His car keys are already in his hand.

~~~~~~~~~~

When we reach the accommodation building a sudden thought enters my mind.

"Is taking Henry home a good idea? I mean, after everything you've told me. . ." My throat closes up in trepidation. I don't want that little boy getting harmed by his father.

Nathan lets out a heavy breath. "I don't have a choice. We're not his guardians, Davina. And I'm pretty sure his father has already called the cops after Jeremy had taken Henry away from him."

I walk down the corridor, jog actually, desperately trying to keep up with Nathan. "Are you sure about this? Jeremy's pretty . . . hurt." I can't come up with a more delicate way to put it. "Wouldn't his father be scared that Henry is going to tell the police the truth?"

Nathan shakes his head. "He knows he can't. He knows what would happen to him if he did. He doesn't want social services to take him away."

My head begins to hurt. "This is so fucked up."

"I know." He sighs in helplessness.

I follow his steps, silent, until another thought crosses my mind. "You said you left him somewhere safe. Where exactly is he then? And why are we in our accommodation building?"

Nathan bites his lip, deeply in thought, not loosing his speed regardless. "I wanted to leave with him Kai, but he wasn't in his room, so I left him with–" He pauses as the door to Will's and Kai's room opens, and Will appears in the corridor with Henry clinging to his side.

My eyes bulge at the sight. They look. . . cute together. They look like brothers.

Would Will have become a completely different person if he had a brother? Would he have been so lonely and lost if he had someone else but himself to confine in?

"Hey," he says, his hand lands atop Henry's shoulder in a comforting manner. "We were just going to grab something to eat. This one is starving."

My heart aches. Of course he's starving. He can't even have a proper meal at home.

Nathan smiles. It's a sad smile. "Well, Henry needs to go home, but I guess we can grab something on the way?" His voice is filled with some broken emotion.

Henry looks up at Will and grins. His eyes however, glisten way too obviously in the bright light casting down on his face from the ceiling. He saw what happened to Jeremy. He must've been crying. He must've been so terrified. He hasn't even asked about his brother, which means he's in denial. He doesn't want to think about it. He's still scared.

I give Nathan a sideway look. I can read from his expression that he understands what I'm trying to say.

He paces towards Henry and ruffles his hair. "Jeremy is going to speak to you tomorrow, bud. He just needs some rest first."

Henry's eyes light up at the sound of his brother's name. He looks relieved and shaken at the same time. He understands everything Nathan has just said. A kid his age shouldn't understand. A kid his age shouldn't be worrying whether his brother is going to live or not.

My blood boils. I want to meet his father and tear him in to shreds.

"Can we have some food now?" Henry asks, evasive. He obviously doesn't want to talk about it. He must not even want to think about it.

"Of course we can." Nathan smiles, then looks up at Will. "Thank you for taking care of him."

"No problem at all," Will answers politely. "Let me know when you get there safe."

"Are you not coming with us?" Henry asks, staring at Will, disappointed.

Will's lips become a thin line. He casts a questioning look towards Nathan.

"Of course he's coming," Nathan replies, smiling gently at Henry.

Will turns towards the kid. "Hey, little man. Why don't you wait with Davina whilst Nathan helps me find my jacket?"

Henry, completely oblivious to the hint that Will has just given Nathan, nods his head eagerly.

I watch them both disappear behind the door, curious about what Will might want to share with Nathan.

I turn my attention towards Henry and smile. "What do you want to eat then, hm?"

~~~~~~~~~~

𝓝𝓪𝓽𝓱𝓪𝓷

"Everything okay?" I ask, slightly worried.

Reyman looks at me, his hands travel into the depths of his pockets. "He told me. You know, about what happened."

I nod my head in acknowledgement, unsure where this is going, but also shocked that Henry has opened up to him so easily. He has never done this before. Not with anyone.

"I think I can help," he says, serious. "I know a good lawyer and the house I live in. . . they could have it."

My heart and mind both stop at once. I think I might have misheard him, yet after a short second, the blood starts pumping through my veins anew and I can already envision Jeremy and Henry living a happy life together, far from their father's abuse.

I stop myself. This is too good. I shouldn't have my hopes up.

"Why?" I ask, suspicious.

He tenses almost imperceptibly. "Let's say my own father wasn't quite the role model type." Seeing the hesitation in my stare, he segues, "I can tell you all about it over a coffee some time, if you need more reassurance."

My jaw clenches. I'm not sure if I can trust him, if I should trust him. Then again, he took care of Henry, and he didn't have to.

"Coffee sounds good," I manage to say.

"Good." He nods his head and grabs a jacket. "Let's get him some food, shall we?" He turns towards the door.

"Wait," I halt. My eyes wander all over his face whilst his own study me intently. "Thank you. On my and their behalf. They really need the help you're offering."

Oddly, because I have rarely witnessed his smile, not to mention such a genuine one, he does smile at me.

"I'm just glad I'm able to help," he says, and opens the door.

__________

Thank you so much for reading!