Chapter 8 ~ Ambush on the Train

Start from the beginning

I peer around the wall to see the kids in Minho and Aris's dorm being led back to their room. Right as Aris walks past me, I quickly pull my hand out and yank Aris towards me, quickly covering his mouth to muffle his surprised yelp.

"It's okay Aris, it's just me," I whisper as I let go of him, along him to turn around to face me.

"What's wrong Cassie?" He questions with wide eyes as he looks into my scared eyes.

"You're going to be moved early tomorrow morning; they're taking you to the city," I quickly explain.

"City? I didn't think there were any left," Aris interrupts me. I nod.

"Yeah well turns out there is one at least. It has better facilities for testing than here and more resources. You and the other immune kids are I'm a lot of danger." Aris gulps as he stares at me with wide eyes.

"Well what do we do? We can't stop them," he worries. I hesitate for a moment.

"Janson is bringing me and my team along because he worries we might be attacked by rebels trying to free you guys."

"Thomas," Aris mutters. I nod in answer.

"And if he's as stupid as I know he is, he'll show up at one point to save you guys but you can't tell him about me working for WICKED just yet once he gets you and the others out," I tell Aris which tilts his head in question. 

"Why not?" He wonders.

"I can't be sure that everyone in their rebel group is trustworthy," I answer, tracing the purple bruise on my jaw subconsciously. 

"I just don't know how they'll react yet. Please promise you won't tell?" I plead. Aris nods slowly before pulling me into a tight hug, I burrow my head into his chest, his chin resting on my head due to the height difference.

"I won't forget that you're here, though. We'll all get away from WICKED in the end, okay?" Aris says sternly. I nod and step out of our embrace.

"You need to get back, the guards will have noticed you're missing," I tell Aris, noting that it's been a few minutes already. Aris hesitates for a moment.

"They'll have realized I was gone. I have to have a good excuse as to why…" Aris trails off as he looks at me.

"Hit me."

"What?" I exclaim with wide eyes, seriously questioning my friend's sanity.

"If I've been hit in the face I'll have a good excuse for being missing. I'll tell them a guard pulled me away and got angry at me before punching me. I get into trouble enough that it'll be convincing," Aris explains.

"I can't hurt you!" I exclaim, knowing we what a punch to the face hurts like.

Aris shakes his head.

"Well you're going to have to, Cassie." I let out a groan but know he's right, anything else and they'll question if he was trying to escape which will result in a much more severe punishment.

"Okay, fine. I'm sorry Aris." I pull back my fist as I punch him across the face, causing him to stumble back as he covers his eye and winces.

That's surely going to leave a nasty black eye for a couple of weeks.

"I'm so sorry Aris," I quickly apogee but he only shakes his head.

"It's fine, you had to do it. Bye Cassie," Aris says.