| What Lies in The Dead Stars |

Start from the beginning

Perhaps it was Death itself calling for him. Maybe it was letting him know that it was upon him. That's when he knew he was terrified.  The escape was inevitable. There's no way around it. This led him to the final conclusion of his extinction.

Leonardo Hamato was dead for good.

⛥ミ

"I'd like to see them again, you know?" You had said to him.

Leonardo remembered the entire conversation that night. It was one of those evenings when the two of you could get away from it all. The responsibilities of leaders and parents, the non-stop fighting with an alien race, and dreadful council meetings that would end until the middle of the night.

Even if New York wasn't its best during the apocalypse, rooftop views would beat anything after a long day of being a soldier.

"See what?"

"The stars. We'd always wished on 'em, remember?" Your gentle voice was heard again over the intensity of the battles in the background. It could make Leo fall asleep. Your eyes drifted across the carmine sky, searching for the moon and its friends.

You all hadn't seen that in years.

Leonardo stared intensely at you as he studied the expression on your face. "Yeah, how can I forget the times you dragged me out of bed just to watch them together? And most of the time, there were no stars. Living in NYC sucked then and it sure as hell sucks now." You sent him a playful glare as he chuckles lowly.

"But you'd always said the stars were more visible during the summer. And I would look forward to getting my ass outta bed for you."

With eyes locked, Leonardo could've sworn he'd seen your lively expression turn somber in an instant.

"Why did it have to turn out this way, Lee?" You whispered. He sighed and looked away before the tears threatened to spill. He had asked himself the same damn question every day. And he couldn't help but blame himself either.

"There are some things that we can control and there are some things we can't. We just gotta learn to stick with what we got," he said, but he didn't want to say it. Leo was pretty sure he had lost his humor a long time ago, so he didn't know what to say exactly. What he had simply said was that you guys were not okay. It was shitty. That was just the reality Leonardo had to remind himself of.

He heard a small rumble coming from your throat, your eyes were no longer fixated on the sky. It was his turn to point his head up toward the dark atmosphere. You had curled yourself into a ball and looked toward nothing.

Well, where's the fun in that?

Leonardo plopped himself on his shell suddenly, spreading his arms on the roof and letting his legs dangle from the edge. You had felt his presence leave and you looked back.

"What're you doing you idiot?" you sniffed.

"I felt nostalgic. Care to join?"

Despite hearing you scoff, you lay beside him and placed your hands on your stomach. He veers his head around to see your concentrated face from before return.

"You won't find any shooting stars up there."

You smiled, "I know. But we can pretend."

Leonardo heard himself hum in agreement, "I like pretend."

He felt a shift in the mood between you two, like the two of you were young again watching the very little stars up above. It was stupid. But Leo secretly loved it.