"Suffocating," The other younger male said darkly, glaring at the ground as if he couldn't believe admitting that word aloud.

The older male, Ranel, turned around to face the other two males, but not before taking a deep breath as he scanned the undergrowth. "She's watching us."

Jay wondered how long it would take them to realize she had noticed their presence within the vampire's territory. The two younger males tensed, scanning the trees as the little girl whimpered, clinging to Ranel's leg and squeezing her eyes shut.

Seeing as there was no reason to stay hidden any longer, she emerged from behind the tree, exposing herself to the threat before her. Ranel placed himself between Jay and his group, eyeing her warily but showing no sign of aggression toward her. Tilting her head, Jay peered at the group with curiosity.

Ranel dropped to one knee, exposing his neck, and soon the other two males followed. "Bow, honey. Show her we mean no harm," Ranel whispered to the girl, but Jay heard his words. The little girl, Naia, dropped to her knees, bowing her head while keeping her eyes clenched shut.

Remaining still, Jay was unsure what to do as she watched the four wolves bow to her, showing their necks in submission. She wouldn't shift in front of these wolves for multiple reasons. She would be exposed, both figuratively and physically. Shaking her head, Jay remembered how her grandfather communicated with her using his mind, so she tried doing the same with these wolves.

"You're trespassing." Jay tried projecting her thoughts outward, and it must've reached the wolves, for they flinched at the sound of her voice. The little girl shook violently, and Jay felt displeased in scaring the harmless girl.

"This was the only way to reach you," Ranel said evenly, keeping his head down as he spoke. "I apologize for the intrusion."

Jay was intrigued but also on edge. Why did they want to find her? She knew of the rogue group that targeted her and Dylan. The two prisoners were kept in the basement, but she never approached that part of the house since she found her dad and Samuel down there. Jay wondered how long they had left until the Bohannan brothers figured they had no more information to tell them.

The four wolves didn't move a muscle as she watched them with weary eyes, still bowing their heads. "Rise," Jay spoke, not enjoying talking to someone without looking at their faces. The three males stood while the little girl clung to Ranel's leg. Ranel placed a comforting hand atop her head, stroking her hair as he watched Jay with desperation leaking from his grey eyes. One of the younger males shifted on his feet, looking anywhere but at Jay, while the other one glared at the ground.

"Who are you?"

"I am Ranel. This is my daughter, Naia," Ranel said, but she already knew their names. "This is Cohen," He pointed to the uncomfortable male, whose green eyes momentarily landed on Jay's gaze but redirected to the trees once he noticed she was looking at him. " And this is Fletcher." Although his name was said, he didn't remove his eyes from the ground. Although Jay was annoyed with the male, Jay was glad he took the higher road when not directing his glare at her. That would've set off her beast even more so. "I ask you to forgive his actions," Ranel turned a sour eye on Fletcher's behaviour. "He is not well versed when encountering an Alpha."

Jay blinked. Does he think I'm an Alpha? Jay was not yet of official status. 

"He's one of the reasons we have come here," Ranel cleared his throat. "His brother was taken that night our group attacked you and your friend." Jay's hackles immediately rose as she realized just now who she was talking to. "We believe him to be your prisoner."

Jay's head rose, narrowing her eyes at the group. She was now on high alert as she looked over the men with distrust. She stretched her senses around her, feeling if other wolves were hiding within the trees, waiting to ambush her. Jay regretted her decision to follow the threat before grabbing the Bohannan brothers.