²¹. 𝑀𝑎𝑛𝑠𝑖𝑜𝑛 𝑃𝑟𝑒𝑠𝑒𝑛𝑡

ابدأ من البداية

"We think we'll react a certain way to something, but in the end we have a totally different reaction to it," Pepper spoke up, her nails clicking on the table.

(Y/N) thought her words through, when she didn't receive a quick answer, Pepper continued. "Listen, if you want to, you can talk to this therapist I've been seeing for a while now."

She handed (Y/N) a flash card with the name of the therapist on it and the location, but she frowned at this. "I don't think it's necessary, Pepper."

"I'm saying it can help you," Pepper offered warmly. "I'm not forcing you or anything. Think it through."

(Y/N) smiled in a relaxed way for the first time in a period of a week, sudden tension in her shoulders dropping. "Thank you."

Pepper returned the gesture before raising her eyebrows. "Should we order the check?"

After paying the check (which Pepper insisted on paying), they were guided to the exit by two members of the restaurant's staff, who made sure neither of them were bothered by any sort of press or any distractions. Once Happy Hogan, the newly made Head of Security of Stark Industries, spotted them by his spot on the parking lot, he ran his way over.

It seemed like his behavior was her final straw. (Y/N) laughed from her left. "Happy's been on edge all day since I met up with Killian."

(Y/N) tried to recall what Pepper had told her about this Aldrich Killian; he had visited her at the office and talked about some sort of project of his, one that he wanted her to be a part of. She wasn't quite sure why Happy was acting weirder than usual, but the uncomfortable way Pepper described him, she had some sort of clue.

"Car's ready, if you're ready to go," Happy told the two once he got close enough, the car keys dangling from his fingers.

Pepper looked at (Y/N) before answering back to him, checking if she was okay with the decision. When she nodded in response, the blonde looked back at him. "Sure."

───✱*.。:。✱*.:。✧*.。✰ ───

The ride back to the Stark mansion was something (Y/N) could ever quite get used to, especially the way the car had to go uphill to arrive at the cliff side and park near the entrance. The lights from the outside were already on since dawn was setting in the sky, and the statue plastered in the center of the entrance still stood glowing as ever. The car parked on the side and (Y/N) was about to exit the car when she saw that the other two people in the car were staring at something else.

That's when she saw it. A stuffed bunny was placed in the side of the house, as if it was waiting for it to be recognized and admired to whomever passed by. It was light brown with pink king ears and simple black eyes, but the thing that caught her eye the most was the red ribbon tied in its neck that had a sign that said 'Merry Christmas' in green lettering.

Pepper looked back at (Y/N) with a teasing grin. "Good luck."

(Y/N) shot her an annoyed yet playful look, and she shut the door closed of the car and watched it roll away. She had many questions about the stuffed bunny, but she sucked it all in and stepped inside the house without hesitation.

She realized it was empty but decided to speak up in case he was listening or hiding around the corner. "Sorry I'm late. Pepper and I — Okay then."