The new hero

Time skip

I am eleven now. Four years back I came to camp. I was claimed by Artemis and the other campers, Mr. D and Chiron were surprised because she is a maiden goddess.

Today came a new demigod at camp. He actually came yesterday, but it was at night. But how do I know? It's simple. When Grover - one of my best friends - went to spend a year in some school to collect a demigod, I asked Chiron if I can go too. That's why on the day when Grover had to bring the boy to camp I was with him. 

Flashback:

The rain was staining and soaking into my clothes, but I didn't stop running along the seashore. Oh gods Grover was fast. When we stopped at the door the Satyr knocked on it. The wooden door opened to reveal a middle aged, brown haired woman. There were some streaks of grey in her hair, but couldn't say that she looks old. There, also was a boy that looked like he was around twelve years old. That was the demigod - Percy.

"Searching all night!" Grover gasped.

"What were you thinking?" I asked.

The boy's mother looked at him in terror.

"Percy," she said, shouting to be heard over the rain. "What happened at school? What didn't you tell me?"

"O Zeu kai alloi theoi!" Grover yelled. "It's right behind me! Didn't you tell her?"

Percy's mom looked at him sternly "Percy. Tell me. Now!"

He stammered something about the old ladies at a fruit stand, Mrs. Dodds, and his mom stared at him, her face deathly pale in the flashes of lightning.

She grabbed her purse, tossed the boy a rain jacket, and said, "Get to the car. All of you. Go!"

We ran for the car and got in. We tore through the night along dark country roads. Wind slammed against the Camaro. Rain lashed the wind-shield. I didn't know how Percy's mom could see anything, but she kept her foot on the gas.

"So, you and my mom... know each other?" Percy asked.

Graver's eyes flitted to the rearview mirror, though there were no cars behind us. "Not exactly," he said. "I mean, we've never met in person. But she knew I was watching you."

"Watching me?"

"Keeping tabs on you. Making sure you were okay. But I wasn't faking being your friend," he added hastily. "I am your friend."

"Urn ... what are you, exactly?" Percy asked

"That doesn't matter right now."

"It doesn't matter? From the waist down, my best friend is a donkey-"

Grover let out a sharp, throaty "Blaa-ha-ha!"

"Goat!" he cried.

"What?" Percy was confused.

"He's a goat from the waist down." I explained.

"He just said it didn't matter."

"Blaa-ha-ha! There are satyrs who would trample you underhoof for such an insult!" Grover defended.

"Whoa. Wait. Satyrs. You mean like ... Mr. Brunner's myths?"

"Were those old ladies at the fruit stand a myth, Percy? Was Mrs. Dodds a myth?" I asked.

"So you admit there was a Mrs. Dodds!"

"Of course." Grover agreed

"Then why-" Percy started, but I cut him off.

"The less you knew, the fewer monsters you'd attract," I said, like that should be perfectly obvious. "We put Mist over the humans' eyes. We hoped you'd think the Kindly One was a hallucination. But it was no good. You started to realise who you are."

"Who I—wait a minute, what do you mean?"

Just at that moment I saw a Minotaur running to our car in the driver's window. It ran fast and pushed us of the edge of the cliff we were riding on. We fell untill we hit the ground. We were trapped.

"Grover, break the window!" I shouted. He heard me and did what I told him to and pieces of glass flew around the car.

Me, Percy and Sally got out of the car as fast as we could. The Minotaur ran to us but we ducked it. The creature jumped on the car and stuck it's hornes in the roof of the vehicle. We scrumbled closer to the barrier and Thalia's three, when the hideous monster came to us and grabbed Sally.

"Mom!" Percy called. I stopped in my tracks and turned around at the sound of his voice.

"Perce, we have to go!" Grover said to the boy. The said person ran towards the Minotaur.

The monster squeezed Sally and she turned to golden dust. Percy watched in horror the scene playing out in front of him. His mother was truly gone now and he couldn't even say goodbye. I saw the rage creeping up onto his face and before I knew it he started fighting the monster. 'Oh, no! He'll not even make it past the barrier! He doesn't know how to fight!' All sorts of thoughts were running in my head at that moment. Just then I saw Percy cornered, back flushed to a tree, the monster about to smash him. I thought it was all over.  I looked to my right and saw Grover's body on the grass. He really passed out. I moved my attention back to the tree thinking that I will see a lifeless Percy and a monster ready to unalive me too.

What I saw there shocked me. Just as the Minotaur got close to Percy -- about to kill him -- the boy rolled to the left and the creature got it's horn stuck in the tree's trunk. I stood there, mortified. I couldn't move. The Minotaur broke free, but in the process the horn that was previously stuck in the tree snapped off. Percy pulled the remainings of it out and as the monster launched at him, he stabbed it right in the heart, with it's own horn, killing it in the process. The monster turned to yellow pollen blowed out by the wind. After a few seconds all of the dust was gone. I was still too stunned to move, so I stood glued to my spot.

Percy got up and stabbed the monster in the heart and it resolved in golden dust Percy was panting still holding the now-covered with blood Minotaur horn. "Well...that was...something." Percy spoke.

"Yeah." I spoke back. "We better get to the other side of the arch, before-" I was cut short by a soft thud. "-you pass out too..." I looked at Percy to confirm my guess and there he was, passed out on the ground. 'Now I have to drag them both.' I thought, and with a sigh I grabbed Grover's wrists and dragged him in camp. Next was Percy. I did the same and brought him to the other side of the barrier. Lets say that they both were a bit heavy, but I did it. Looking back I saw the Minotaur's horn, I picked it up and put it in my backpack. Calling out to the Apollo kids, I sat down on the grass and waited. Some of the ones with night shifts came running to help me and carried the boys to the infirmary. They told me to lay down on a bed and I did.

"Why do I have to stay? I can go to my cabin..." I asked

"You have scratches all over the exposed parts of your body and your jacket and pants are ripped...again!" A boy, whose name I remembered was Jake, explained to me. With a groan i sat up in the bed, let him clean my cuts and bruises and after he was done I went to sleep.

End of flashback

(1274 words)