01 | slow ride

song for the chapter:
Slow Ride , Foghat

The Hard Deck.

Clever name for the bar all the pilots claimed as their designated hang out spot.

Danielle hadn't been in the bar since her first time at Top Gun. As she pulled up to park the memories flooded into her mind. She couldn't lie, she missed it.

The friends, the missions, even the rivalries. Once they graduated it seemed like it would all be over. But here she was, back at the bar, ready to greet her friend.

She peeked into the window and saw a few people sitting inside but it wasn't too crowded yet. Perfect. Her car door swung open and she hopped out of the Jeep, walking inside.

Her keys slipped into her pocket as she walked up to the bar. Standing behind it, as always, Penny.

Danielle loved coming to visit Penny. During her Top Gun days she'd stop by with Natasha and order a beer just to talk to her.

Currently, Penny was talking to a man sitting in front of her. Danielle rested her elbows on the bar watching, patiently waiting to surprise her. Once Penny set a drink down in front of him, Danielle decided it was time to go in.

"Hey Pen." Danielle says with a smile.

Penny quickly turns her head and immediately smiles seeing the woman standing in front of her.
"Danielle! How are you?" she walks over to her, grabbing a beer on her way.

"I'm good." Danielle nods "Back at Top Gun." she shrugs, and takes the beer Penny hands to her. "Thanks." she takes a quick sip.

"Well Im glad you're back." Penny gently pats her shoulder. "The others came in a bit earlier.." she glances around the bar, landing on a certain group of aviators. "Not sure if you know any of them."

Danielle turned her head to the group of people standing around, making their way towards the pool table. Scanning faces, she finally landed on a certain someone.

"Hey Tasha." Danielle says walking up behind her friend.

Natasha "Phoenix" Trace. Danielle's best friend since she was a kid. They both went on the same path but got split up along the way.

Danielle couldn't remember the last time she actually saw Natasha in person. It made her feel giddy inside when she was finally able to see her again.

"Dani?" Natasha slowly turns around and her face lights up at the sight of Danielle. "I knew it!" she pulls her in for a hug. "You're the only one who calls me Tasha."

"Glad I still hold that title." Danielle smiles.

"I missed you." Natasha smiles "I wasn't sure if you were going to be here."

"Are you kidding? Best pilot of our class right here." Danielle jokes and Natasha laughs.

Natasha takes a moment to introduce Daniele to a couple of the other aviators that were being sent back. Payback and Fanboy. Otherwise known as Reuben and Mickey.

The four decided to see who else was around, so they made their way to the pool table to see a few guys sitting around.

"What do we have here? If it ain't Phoenix!" a man playing pool stood with a smile, holding a cue. "And, well I don't believe it. Poison."

He scoffs "And here I thought we were special Coyote. Turns out the invite went to anyone." He spoke with a slight southern accent.

Jake "Hangman" Seresin. Danielle didn't know him too well. She had met him during her first time at Top gun. She barely talked to him, but the two were always competing with each other.