Bet on My Company

March 14, 1837. Present.

“Master, it has been a month since your birthday. When is the time you will stop hiding?” Sebastian asked.

 We were standing in an alleyway. Near a shop called Masked Theater. I stand there in front of the crooked sign of the shabby old place.

 I stare up at it with my hood over half of my face. “Is this the place?”

 Sebastian sighs. “Yes, young master.”

 He opens the door for me. As it creeks open, spiders ran away into dark places of the shop. I look around to find many masks hanging on the wall. Sad, happy, scared, and funny faces. It sickens me to the stomach.

 “Oh, I see Master Cain is here to visit me!”

 A man with a fox mask and in white fancy clothes came out of the shadows. His long silver hair glided across the mask. He laughs behind his fox mask.

 “Young master has been through-“

 I coughed to interrupt Sebastian. “Lord Cain’s hair has grown long since the last time he’s met you, Masquerade.”

 I take off my hood. Masquerade makes a dramatic gasp. “Cain! My dear boy! Were you raised in the wild?!”

 “Master has been in pain recently.” Sebastian said looking at some weird dolls.

 “Pain?” Masquerade tilts his head on the side and taps his white gloved finger on his right cheek. “Cain in pain is very surprising. He always has this smile. In one month everyone forgot about my shop, because of him.”

 Sebastian steps in front of me. “You’re not thinking of getting revenge are you, Mr. Masquerade?”

 Masquerade gives him a clueless look. “Whatever do you mean? I love this quietness it makes me want to make Cain into a puppet.”

 I sigh in anger. “Just get my haircut done.”

 He points his hand to a chair. “Right this way, my dear Cain.”

 I sat down on the chair looking at my reflection. I slowly close my eyes. Goodbye, my old self. If I knew how to cry I would. Cain, I promise to take the Balakov’s name with me until I die. I will change England’s history!

 The clipping of scissors stopped. I slowly open my eyes to see my old brother’s hairstyle. His short black little messy hair and his bangs in the right place, but his eyes used to look so happy. Now they’re serious and cold.

 I get up and look over Sebastian. “Go get me new clothes. These are bothersome.”

 “Yes, my lord.” Sebastian walks past me and disappears in the darkness. Masquerade hugs me. I jerk away from him. He gives me another clueless look. “What’s wrong? You always laugh when I hug you.”

 I pat down my worn out jacket’s sleeves. “That was the past. Now’s its totally different.”

 Masquerade chuckles. “What are you going to do now?”

 “I’m going to change my family’s history.” I said with a glare. “And England’s.”

“How wonderful!” He said. “You’re going to change the company to?”

 “Of course. No more horse race betting.” I said. I don’t want to remember my past ever again.

 “Then how about dolls and candy company?” Sebastian asked as he comes out of the shadows with my clothes.

 I glare at him. I’m not going to fall for that. I hate girly things. “No, a cake and deserts company sounds better. I want to share the best quantity of them around the world as possible. That is my goal.”