Chapter Three

Jasper looked at me carefully as he held my wrist tightly in his hand. I swallowed heavily as we met each other's gaze and we both froze, each watching the other carefully. I winced slightly, doing my best not to blink despite the severe urge to, as pain started shooting through my wrist from how tightly he was holding onto it. I gave in after another minute, blinking and that gave him a chance to step forward, pushing me back against the wall of the gym behind us.

I blinked again as I felt my back come into contact with the wall once more and I glanced behind me towards it. Before I could look back at him, I fell still as I felt something pressing against my neck. I swallowed heavily but remained still despite the urge to scream and start struggling as I heard a deep intake of breath from right beside me. I glanced towards it, my eyes widening when I saw that Jasper had buried his face deeply into the crook of my neck.

A rather surprised expression crossed my features as I watched him, afraid, and I'm ashamed to admit it but curious as well as to what it was that he was doing. Seeming to sense my eyes on him now, Jasper slowly moved his head away from my neck, moving back just enough so that he could actually look me in the eye this time. My breath caught in my throat as well as any smart arse comment that would have come out of my mouth as his eyes met mine. The colouring of them seemed to resemble the darkest shade of black possible, which completely baffled me because I knew that his eyes were in fact the most gorgeous shade of blue I had ever seen.

Seeing the confusion in my eyes, Jasper looked at me for a moment before he swallowed heavily and I watched his Adam's apple move in his throat when my eyes glanced downwards. I looked back up again quickly and his eyes seemed to seek out mine once more. Almost like a magnet, our eyes found each other's and that was where we ended up staying, our eyes locked with me pinned between him and the wall.

After what felt like a life time, I managed to pull my gaze away from his, turning my head to look away and anywhere but at him. I closed my eyes, my heart now beating too fast and too loud in my chest for him not to hear it. I had no idea that at this time he could hear it whether I wanted him to or not. It was my turn to swallow heavily now, trying desperately to coat my now dry throat as taking in air made me feel as though I was swallowing sandpaper and every breath of air made my throat burn. I glanced up at him as I heard his sudden intake of breath once more and I looked at him carefully, my heart now feeling as though it was beating against my throat.

The bell finally rang to signal the end of lunch and it caused both of us to jump. Only Jasper jumped away from me as though he had received an electric shock. I glanced over at him, leaning back against the wall for support and I could see that his hands were visibly shaking. He clenched them into fists and I was thankful that my next class I didn't share with him. I don't think I could make it through another two fifty minute classes with him without wanting to be on the complete opposite side of the school from him. That wouldn't happen as it was since the only free seat in any of the classes that we shared was beside me. The teachers had all learned the hard way in my classes that I do not, under any circumstance, share my desk. I am quite happy to pair up with people but I tended to move to sit with them at their desks. Anyone who would try to use my desk while I wasn't there would always, without fail, have something strange happen to them.

Quickly turning my back to him, I made a desperate dash for my locker, the cold wind nipping and biting at my face and hands as I rushed towards my locker. My shoes crunched in the snow that was covering the ground now and I nearly slipped and fell as I finally entered the corridor, my shoes not having the best grip on the entire planet. We rarely got snow where we were and when we did it was like it was now so none of our shoes were made for the snow. Catching myself before I could actually fall, I continued with my desperate dash towards my locker and when I was sure that I had reached it without anyone, namely Jasper, following me, I relaxed slightly.