Chapter Thirty Seven

Magsimula sa umpisa

I bit my lip as I smiled. "Okay."

"How was your day?" I heard a yawn right after the question.

"It was okay." My eyes switched from my feet to in front of me.

Before Kenzie could say anything more, the blaring of the siren went off. I cringed at the loud sound along with Kenzie's surprised yelp.

"There's a fire!" She yelled into the phone. "There's actually a fire. Bye, Thal!"

I chuckled at the excitement and slipped my phone back into my pocket.

When I reached our apartment, I was about to unlock the door when I heard footsteps behind me. Looking over my right shoulder, I internally groaned when I saw Daphne stumbling up the stairs.

It took me one second to decide whether I wanted to deal with her or not. In the next second, I was safely hidden in the apartment. I was about to go into the bedroom when I heard a loud thud of someone falling, followed by a pained groan. Hand against the closed door, I tapped my fingers as I waited for any further sounds. It took a few long seconds before I heard her try and fail to get up. I inhaled and forced my hand to the door knob, whining softly in protest.

Just as I was about to pull it open, I heard a second voice. The male's voice was familiar, and I instantly knew it belonged to Brian. I listened as they slurred words to each other before keys were clearly being used to open a door. It fell a few times, and some curses were thrown out in anger. But, they eventually got it because the door opened and closed soon after.

The relief I felt was indescribable for not having to go out there and help a woman I didn't even like the sight of. Maybe I was a bit jealous that she'd slept with Kenzie, despite it happening before she and I started. I chuckled at my own stupidity for feeling this much possessiveness.

It didn't take much time before I was settled into bed. I checked my phone in case I'd missed a call or text from Kenzie, but there was nothing. Leaving the device close to me, I settled under the covers.

Kenzie hadn't come home yet when I woke up the next morning. Knowing she'd be hungry as she usually was, I dragged my feet to the kitchen. I turned on the television while I cooked her breakfast and prepared her coffee.

When I was done, I made myself a bowl of cereal. I sat at the kitchen counter and slowly ate my breakfast. Fist to my cheek, I half listened to the television while keeping my eyes out the window. It was sunny out today, and I could already feel the heat engulfing the apartment.

I pulled my journal that I'd left on the counter the night before to me. Opening it up to a clean page, I jotted down a few lines. Lately, I found myself writing a lot more. They used to be only for Zac, some to my mom, but now Kenzie had taken up quite a few pages, too.

I was busy daydreaming about said woman when the news on the television caught my attention. It didn't register at first. No, the panic came in a couple of minutes after the confusion. After confusion came the disbelief, then realization that it was, in fact, actually real. The panic slowly settled at first before I felt like someone threw a brick to my chest.

I ran to the bedroom in search of my phone, tossing everything on the bed and dresser to the floor when I couldn't find the stupid thing. I found it on the floor together with the blanket. Fumbling with the phone, because of my shaky hands, I finally managed to unlock it.

There were some missed calls from Kenzie's mom and even her sister. I decided not to call them just yet and tried for the woman herself. I didn't know what was louder, the pounding in my chest or my head. The phone rang out, and I tried again and again.

My eyes stung, and I blinked back the rising tears. My feet carried me back to the living room where I saw the burnt building and ambulances along with paramedics rushing around. There were body bags, crying, screaming, and absolutely no sign of Kenzie. I attempted to find Paul amongst the firefighters, but to no avail.

The fire was out, but the aftermath was destructive and panic turned into being petrified. I couldn't move. My feet stayed planted in its place and my eyes remained on the television despite what I saw. I hoped, more than I'd ever hoped for anything in my life for even a glimpse of her.

I did something I hadn't done since I found out Zac was dying. I prayed. I didn't know to who, but I prayed. My grip on my phone loosened enough for me to dial Paul's number. There was no answer there either.

The phone slipped out of my hand and fell to the floor, both hands coming up to grab a fistful of hair. I knew I had to go find her, but I was rooted to where I stood. The noise in my head and rushing throughout my body was too much to deal with. Apart from the few teardrops that fell, I didn't allow myself to break down. I needed to convince myself to leave the apartment.

I gave myself a pep talk, trying not to overreact just because she wasn't answering. She could be busy dealing with survivors or assisting with whatever the fuck there was to assist with. She was fine. Taking a couple of breaths in, I picked up my phone from the floor, and grabbed my keys and wallet before leaving.

- For K♡