Chapter Twenty Five

Thalia

I glanced at the woman beside me to see her with that same frown on her face. After our run in with Bella, Kenzie's mood had dropped and only gave a few words.

Kent and Christina Carmichael and Jerod and Meera Jace had been neighbours for years and thus close friends. Not only was Kenzie best friends with Bella, but their younger sisters were too as well.

I'd met her older brother Calvin, who was in fact the biggest flirt I'd ever come in contact with. But he wasn't the type of flirt that made you uncomfortable, but rather the amusing kind because he was so bad at it. I'd already gotten 'Do you like raisins? How do you feel about a date?' and 'If I were a cat, I'd spend all of my nine lives with you.'

I'd also met her sister who seemed to be giving me not so subtle looks every now and then. It didn't make me uncomfortable, but I was interested in what she was thinking since her eyes gravitated to her older sister next to me as well. Kezia and a smaller blonde girl were hanging off of each other all night long. They'd both disappeared after dinner a few minutes ago.

Kenzie and I made our way down to the basement after everyone had left, except the aunt and uncle that would be staying in her bedroom. Tomorrow, they'd be coming back for a barbecue and I was already tired thinking about socializing again.

"Wanna shower first?" Kenzie asked while removing her t-shirt to reveal her sports bra.

"Are you upset she's pregnant?" I asked instead of answering, plopping down on the loveseat with a sigh.

The other woman turned to me with that same frown. "What?"

I crossed my legs and regarded her. "Bella. She's pregnant. Is that upsetting?"

Her frown slowly faded and she sat on the bed, legs spread and hands behind her to hold her up. Her jeans were fitted against her firm thighs, boxers peeking out at the waist. My eyes drank in the exposed abs and toned arms, muscles rippling as she adjusted her weight.

"I'm not upset that Bella's pregnant. I'm happy for her. I'm just...put off that I didn't know." She sighed and placed her elbows on her thighs, back hunched and hair falling off her shoulders. "Since we were five years old, we told each other everything. Shared everything. It's why I attended her wedding even though I was in love with her at the time. I knew I'd regret it otherwise. Before I fell for her, she was just my best friend. Still is. But things are different now and sometimes that hurts. I'm very happy she's expecting, but I'm also hurt that she didn't think she could tell me even though I know it's my fault."

"How is it your fault?"

She shrugged. "One day I realized I was in love with her and it changed everything. I talked to her about it by the way. That's what I wanted to tell you." Sparkling blue eyes met my brown ones.

There was something in the way she looked at me that made my stomach do this weird thing. "Talk to her about what?"

"Not being in love with her anymore. About moving on and all that." She whispered, but there was more she wasn't saying. "I've moved on, but I'm still allowed to miss the best friend I once had."

Since I didn't know much about friendship or love for that matter, I replied with a quiet, "I suppose so, yes."

Kenzie's grin made another appearance. "You have to sleep on the bed."

I cast my eyes to the bed, seeing the comfort that must come with it. "No, I don't. I'm fine here."

"Thal, you have to sleep on the bed."