Chapter Thirty One

Mackenzie

I swung the axe and missed, aiming again and barely catching the piece of wood. Hurt and frustration were the only two emotions I could focus on since last night.

I was doing a fine job at messing up this task and Mr Lahey would surely have my head, but I didn't care. I kept going and switched for another log when I'd chopped on one too much.

"We men, we chop wood." Came the exaggerated deep voice of Paul.

I looked away from the log and to the younger man. He was walking back and forth with his chest puffed out. His axe was thrown over his shoulder as he stomped his feet, head held high.

"What are you doing?" I asked, far from being amused by anything.

He stopped, slowly facing me. "What are you doing? That's not how you do it, Jace."

I tossed the axe aside. "Well, apparently I'm not doing anything right."

"Oi, watch it." He pointed at me. "Someone stole your food or something? You're all," he waved his finger at my face. "Moody and angry."

I attempted to hold on to my anger and clenched my jaw. It wasn't working. I recalled walking away from Thalia last night, her coming to the bathroom door and knocking until she gave up. She'd slept on the sofa and woke up before I came out of the room. I avoided her when she tried talking to me and left the apartment, only coming back when I saw her leave.

In truth, I knew I wasn't angry, but hurt. I also knew Thalia didn't know how I felt about her nor did she owe me the same sentiment in return. But, the stupid organ that was my heart was once again betraying me. And I wasn't so sure I could handle another heartbreak.

"Jace, Buddy? You in there?"

"Thalia and I had a...uh, fight." I muttered softly.

"Oh, easy fix. Say sorry." He shrugged like he'd found the answer.

I frowned at the ground. "But I didn't do anything wrong."

"Then wait for her to apologize."

"I don't think she did anything wrong either."

All Thalia did was say the truth, we were only fucking. Maybe I thought we were friends too and that would some day grow to be more, but that was wishful thinking.

"Then how is it a fight?" He asked with a childlike curiosity.

"She hurt my feelings. But I don't think she knows why I'm hurt." I replied and sat on an unchopped log.

Paul followed and sat across from me. "I don't know how love works. Seems too complicated and painful."

"You have no idea." I quietly muttered.

We sat in silence until my friend perked up. "Wanna go hang out with Blue and Vivian later?"

"Not really, no."

"What do you want to do then?"

"Sulk."

"Okay."

So, Paul and I sulked, even though the man had no reason to be sulking.