Chapter 22 Decision

Start from the beginning

"Oh so that's why there wasn't anyone on the way there."

"Yeah they are also very handy for what we're doing and as long as you have access to a royal palace carriage you can use the pathways." The hooded magician explained starting to lose herself to her passions.

As another person walked past us I piped up, "So you're a big fan of magic. Why is that?"

She looked at me and pondered before looking back at me, "Well between you and me I'm a half elf."

Raising an eyebrow I didn't quite get what she was hinting at. "And?"

"Well we half elves have a strong desire to learn things in our early years. It works like how human children can learn so much in their early years, but the problem is that since I'm half elf I live for a long time so technically I'm still a kid even though I'm 70 half years old. Magic was just something I liked. The idea of manipulating the world was something that captured my young mind."

"Huh," Well she was older than I thought she was. She was roughly 35 years old in earth time. "I couldn't tell that you were a half elf when you covered your face all the time."

The hooded magician looked at me before looking away. Not giving me a reply we continued walking. I guess it was a phase? I mean by her words she is still a child so maybe she just thinks cloaks look cool or something. I remember I did some weird stuff in my younger years.

Gazing around I saw people going about their day. The outskirts of the city were quite better than I had expected. The streets were clean and the people looked healthy as they went about doing their daily tasks.

"Hmm is everywhere this nice?"

"Oh yeah the outskirts of the city have been quite well kept. Were you expecting medieval conditions like your world?"

"Well to tell you the truth yeah. I'm actually surprised."

"Yeah you would be surprised what magic can do. Most of the country lives like this except the eastern lands. They fell to anarchy a long time ago and life there is a varying amount of bad compared to here." She finished sighing with weight behind her words.

"Have you been there?"

"Yes I have, it's quite shocking how poorly kept and inefficient those 'kingdoms' are run."

"Huh, I would think the more important thing is how bad life there is."

"Oh yes, morality," I hear her mutter underneath her breath, "Yes life there is quite tough for the average person because there are monstrous rogue generals who dictate everyday life wadda wadda." The witch said, waving away the conversation.

Looking at her I raised my eyebrows in surprise before replying. "Huh not the most compassionate type."

"And you are? I expected you to be a man of cold logic."

"Well you're not wrong just didn't expect you to be one too."

"You would do well to pay closer attention then Hero. There are some unscrupulous characters within the royal palace. Well mostly that pathetic excuse for a military general."

Foreshadowing much? "If you want to say something about him just say it."

"Earlier you asked me why I covered my face right?"

"Yeah I did."

"Do you know how that man met his wife?"

No." There was something about how she spoke that instantly set me off. Something was wrong and she sounded like she was restraining herself.