Chapter Five: Midnight Strike.

[A/N]: This chapter is the 1/4 progress mark on this book!! Time to celebrate!!!! (Excluding the Prolouge and epilogue obv)

It had been long since the sun had set, bringing darkness upon the forests of Darkwood.

The clock was almost ready to strike midnight, exactly the time Shamura had proposed.

Mitz was rushing to get ready now.

"Do you have everyone rallied together?"

"Of course, great leader. I would never disappoint you!"

"Good, I'm taking that as a promise. Disappoint me and I'll cut your tongue out."

"...Y-Yes, great one."

"Great! Now run along now, I shall return once it is time to depart."

At once, the buck ran off, bringing the news to the gathering of followers in the courtyard.

Taking a couple deep breaths, they attempted calming themself from the excitement.

Tonight would mark the very beginning of the "conquest" of Darkwood, or so Shamura had claimed.

It would be tonight that the other proved their status as the god of war.

Mitz couldn't help but feel tense, they had to prove themself being of use to their companion.

After all, they didn't want to seem useless, did they?

If they wanted to keep their alliance with Shamura for long, then they had to prove themself worthy of value.

The crown sitting on top their head pulsed, reminding them of the nearing of midnight.

Snapping back to reality, they looked outside, towards the sky.

The moon was shining in full view, marking the time.

Hurriedly rushing outside, they approached their band of followers, all waiting near the fountain.

"Great leader! The group from SilkCradle is waiting outside the walls."

"Then let's hurry and meet them, then."

Nodding, the buck gave out commands for the group to open the gates, letting the others inside.

Once the doors had opened, another similar sized band of followers entered, alongside their leader, Shamura.

Immediately, Mitz approached, giving a small wave as a greeting.

"There's no time for chit-chat now, fox. We must make haste, before someone catches on."

"Right... And where do we even go exactly?"

However, Shamura ignored them, instead clearing their throat, drawing attention from the crowd around the duo.

Crossing their arms, Mitz sighed, however they made no attempt in asking the other once more.

"The time of war is upon us. Pick up your weapons, and fight for our glory. No longer shall the filthy scum of heretics continue to curse us for our truthful ways of living.

There was only silence amongst the crowd, keenly listening for their commands.

"Follow the plans carefully, as you would loyally obey your gods. Split into grips of two, divide yourselves between the strong and the swift. The mighty shall stick with Mitz, the others with me."