( xxiii. you're on my mind )

❝ 𝐚 𝐭𝐢 𝐲 𝐚 𝐧𝐚𝐭𝐚𝐥𝐢𝐚. ❞

════ ☆ ★ ☆ ════

     for everyone paying close attention it was obvious that joão was having a rough day. he could barely keep up during practice and he didn't even say goodbye to any of his teammates before going home.

     most of his teammates texted him to make sure he was okay and he responded to some with a 'yeah' and some others he ignored.

     he laid on his bed for hours after he took a long hot shower. he was so tired, but not
because of practice. his weariness wasn't due to anything about football, but to the strange emptiness he felt in his stomach.

     he couldn't stop thinking about lia. she acted like she didn't even care about him or what happened between them. or at least that's how he saw from his point of view. joão felt alone and, in a way, left out. he felt like he was missing out of something.

he can even feel how his heart aches. it's that weight in his chest that can barely let him breath; maybe even the reason why he kept loosing his breath during practice, more than he usually does.

and he knows he's going through heartbreak. he was left heartbroken by a person he wasn't even able to call his; a person that didn't even belong to him.

for now, football was the only thing that kept him from leaving, but he knows that whenever he gets the chance he's taking a flight to mexico to look for lia. he promised her that he'd go back to her and take her to ensenada and to qatar. he isn't breaking that promise.

     there was a knock at the front door. joão felt like ignoring it, but whoever was at the door kept knocking.

     he stood up from his bed and made his way over to the door. he knows it's magui, who else would be at his door and knocking like crazy.

     joão was surprised when he opened the door and saw lia, standing there with a small smile adorning her perfect face.

he felt joy for the first time today.

     a wide smile grew on joão's lips as he reached over for the girl. "i missed you." lia hummed as she wrapped her arms around his neck. he tightly wrapped his arms around her waist. it felt so good finally seeing her in person again. even if they'd been apart for just a few days, he missed the feeling of having her this close to him.

"i missed you so much, vida mía." joão muttered. he pecked lia's cheek and then, he hid his face in her neck before pressing more kisses against her soft skin there. he hummed against her skin as he pulled her inside the house. "i couldn't stand another day without you."

     lia kissed his cheek. both slowly started to pull away from each other. "i couldn't either." she pressed a soft kiss against his lips.

     "what about kevin?" he didn't want to say it, but he had to know; he had to ask. he was quick to regret it when he noticed how lia's facial expression changed. she wasn't smiling anymore, she was frowning.

"kevin—"

joão opened his eyes. looking around he noticed he was still laying down on his bed. it had all been just a dream. "fuck me." he whispered.