Volume 1 Part 6: The Association of Failures

The tension as the previous video settles down in the room, everyone making the most of the five minute break. Some of them were discussing, playing cellphones, and there were also those who were silent doing nothing.

Shinohara took a deep breath as she leaned back in her chair.

"Are you all right, Shinohara-san?" Satou asked looking at her confusedly, Matsushita also looked at her with the same gaze as Satou.

Apparently her sigh had made her two friends worried.

"I'm fine," Shinohara replied with a smile before she sighed again, "It's just..."

"You are still curious about whether Ayanokouji-kun is holding back or not?" said Matsushita trying to guess.

Shinohara was slightly flinched by Matsushita's words, then she nodded, "Yes."

"Does it bother you that he really is holding back?" asked Matsushita. She needed to ask this for future self-reference.

"I'd be lying if I said I wasn't bothered, he has great abilities but he doesn't use those abilities to help the class. But what I want to know is his reason for holding back."

"His reason?"

"Yes, I want to know the reason he's holding back. Why isn't he serious in class? Is he the type of person who enjoys seeing others suffer when he himself can? In that case, then I will be very angry at him."

Someone who has an extraordinary ability but does not use that ability to its fullest, and even worse, that person enjoys watching other people try hard to get something that he himself is very easy to get. Anyone would definitely be angry at that person.

"I can assure you, Shinohara-san. Kiyotaka-kun would never think of something like that," said Satou, looking at Shinohara with reassuring eyes.

Shinohara was slightly surprised by Satou's gaze, it was rare for her to see her friend like that.

"Then do you know why Ayanokouji-kun is holding back, Satou-san?" asked Matsushita.

"To be honest I don't know because Kiyotaka-kun never said the reason. But I might be able to give you some guesses," said Satou.

"What is it?"

"It's quite long, but since we still have time so I'll summarize."

Satou paused and closed her eyes for a moment, looking like she was composing her words.

"Okay, you guys still remember when I was called by Kiyotaka-kun to the meeting room earlier?" said Satou after a while.

"Yes," said Shinohara nodding.

"I think you discussed something important there?" asked Matsushita.

"You could say that, in there Kiyotaka-kun told us all about his past. Starting from when he was still a child until before he entered this school."

"I see... but why did he tell you that?"

"Kiyotaka-kun wanted us to understand him, he did that because he didn't want us to misunderstand him, he wanted us to understand all the actions he did. Why did he do that, what purpose did he do that, and many others. He wanted us to understand all of that."

"I still do not understand. What action did he take? Did he do something at this school?" Shinohara asked frowning.

"I honestly don't know either, but we might be able to see that if we keep watching this video. Back to the topic, since Kiyotaka-kun has told me all about himself, I guess I can give a few guesses as to why he's holding back."