Annabelle - Good Times

I peeked through the crack in the door, where I could see the queen on her throne, watching the proceedings. I couldn't see Leo, and I wished I had a watch. I really needed to get one.

I cracked my door, ever so slightly, and to my relief, I saw Leo do the same on the other side. Yanking at the threads, I turned us both invisible, then, taking a breath, released a few of them, making us visible to each other. A warm, prickly feeling went over me as I did so, which–hopefully, maybe–meant it had worked.

I nodded to Leo, and we moved quickly out to behind the throne. No one noticed us, which meant they were incredibly stupid, or the spell had worked. I was hoping for the last one. Besides that fact that we'd die quicker if it didn't work, James would never let me live it down (if we lived), just like my fall down the maintenance shaft.

Leo glanced out the window, frowning, and whispered, "It looks like it's going to rain."

"Yeah. It's supposed to," I whispered back.

"No, I mean...soon. Like, really soon."

I looked back out the window, finally connecting the dots. I was brilliant like that. "She's climbed in the rain before. She'll be fine." I looked back towards the ballroom. "So...should we begin?"

He nodded. "You go from the right, I'll go from the left. Take out the guards quickly, and then we'll announce ourselves. Just...stall for time for as long as you can. And if you could try not to kill anyone, that would be nice, too."

I nodded, scanning the guests. I could see my mother back among them–I was about to make tonight very interesting for her. Most likely, no one would recognize me. I had a mask over my face, and it'd been two years. I didn't look much like the fourteen-year-old who had left. Besides, who would believe Anna Maria's daughter was trying to kidnap the queen?

Except for my mother herself. And she wouldn't say a word.

"Let's go," I whispered to Leo.

I slipped off to the right, watching as he approached from the left. I tightened my grip on strings near the guards and yanked as hard as I could. They collapsed, and I realised that spell was a lot easier than I'd thought it was to use on multiple people. Then again, I'd always had to use it on huge groups of at least five, and that was draining. Two people. however, was easy.

It was probably sad I knew that, and my mother would be horrified. I smiled. Good.

At the same time, Leo knocked the hilt of his sword against the two guards' opposite skulls. Maybe not as pretty as my version, but it got the job done fine.

By now people were beginning to notice. Several of the ladies screamed and fainted (for the second time this evening–they really needed to learn how to cope with shock better), and general pardomia ensued. Good. This was working perfectly then.

Leo put his sword against the queen's throat, and I dropped the spell covering us. We stood in full view of the guests, who were probably panicking tonight more than they ever had in their lives. To be fair, thinking you're about to watch the queen murdered is a pretty good reason to panic.

Several guards moved towards us, and I shot out my hands. They crumpled to the ground. I heard several guests cry out, "Witch!" and "Don't move! I've heard about them–she could kill you where you stand!"

Well. I could.

I leaned casually against the throne. "Stay calm," I said. The crowd hushed. "She'll be fine...if you meet our demands, that is." I smiled, which probably made me look a bit psychotic, as these people had no idea we had no intention of hurting them or the queen. We didn't even have any demands. But they were completely oblivious to the fact that the real danger wasn't here, but in the tower that no one was paying a bit of attention to anymore. "If anyone leaves," I announced, "there will be consequences."

No one moved a muscle. I was actually pretty good at this. Leo nodded for me to continue, ever so slightly. He was clearly lost at what to say; he never had been able to think on his feet, and we didn't have a script. Not that I would have stuck to it very well.

"If anyone has any sort of weapon," I said, "I suggest you drop them now, please." I had even minded my manors. My mother, out in the crowd of guests, was probably so proud.

A few people dropped knives to the floor. A few even let go of their canes, and, instead of setting them down, just let them drop to the floor with a thud. I couldn't be sure no one was concealing a weapon, of course, but I'd have to take my chances. With any luck, we'd be out of here within the hour.

"If you'd be so kind," I said, "to remove any of your valuables and start up a...donation, of sorts, that would be lovely."

Leo shot me a look that said, What are you doing?

Covering my mouth with my hand, so the guests couldn't see, I mouthed, We'll just leave them later. It's fine. Just buying time.

He shrugged at me, and I got back to the task at hand. The guests were removing jewellery, emptying pocketbooks and wallets, and whatever other valuables they had on their person. If James was here, he would have insisted we keep it, but I couldn't get away with that with Leo. And it was probably for the best anyway–these people were certainly having a heck of a night.

Right on time, James's second bomb went off, rattling the palace. Actually, I had no idea if it was on time, because I didn't have a watch. Maybe Leo would let me take one from the things people were giving up.

More screaming, fainting, and now crying began. These people clearly had no idea how to remain level-headed, though, I had to admit, that was always Leo's job. But if I thought I was going to die, I'd probably do something stupid and rash, not cry.

But to each their own.

Nicole should be about three-quarters of the way up the tower now (if I remembered correctly, which was a gamble itself), which meant we didn't have to hold this up for much longer. Worst came to worst, we'd just lead them on some crazy chase through the palace while we tried not to die.

I looked over at Leo. What else were we supposed to demand? The crown? It'd be interesting, but probably not very effective.

I was saved by having to come up with anything (thinking positively!) by guards bursting in the room.

"Well, that's our cue," I shouted. "Have a good night everyone!"

We bolted for the exit together, pushing through crowds of people who were too shocked to do anything but stare. Nobody even made any sort of move to stop us, and I wondered if, back then, I would have, or if I'd have just stopped and stared dumbly.

I couldn't see myself standing by, but maybe I would have. Who knows?

I shot out my hands, and the guards who had been approaching crumpled. Leo and I bolted through the massive double doors that led out of the ballroom, slamming them behind us, and Leo pushed the massive bolt into place. We looked up and down the hallway quickly. Nothing. For now.

"They'll be here any minute," he gasped, "you...go find James. We need to get out of here."

I nodded. "Got it. And you?"

"I'll head up to the tower," he said, "something's wrong."

I blinked at him, confused. The only thing I could sense was wrong was the fact that we were being chased through the palace, but he could do whatever he wanted, I guessed. Who was I to judge? "Um, okay," I said, "whatever you say. See you in a bit?"

He nodded. "If we're not back down in half an hour or so, we're in trouble. Let's meet in the gardens around that time–if you and James aren't there, I'm going to assume something's gone wrong."

I nodded. "Deal."

I just hoped James had a watch. 

Word Count: 1,401