Annabelle - I'm a Super Cool Spy

It's easier to sneak into a ball than you would think.

People barely noticed us as we made our way through the glittering landscape, all concerned with their own things. Being here without my mother was a totally different experience. Of course, I hadn't been trying to steal things then, but still. Then, I'd thought everyone was watching me, judging me. Maybe they were. After all, I was Lady Anna Maria's daughter. But now? I could do whatever I wanted.

Not that not being able to do as I liked had ever stopped me before.

Now, I was here again, and prepared to actually have a good time. No more smiling endlessly for boring diplomats, dodging the stiflingly boring boys that my mother always tried to have dance with me, or doing my best to ignore her glares whenever I took more sweets than she thought I should. I got to do it my way, and that meant dancing with who I liked, when I liked, and eating what I liked. She would hate every bit of my existence here, and I was glad. A tiny part of me even wanted to see her, just to prove that I didn't need her.

Because I didn't.

But I also knew that she would immediately bring everything to a grinding, screeching halt, and that would be the end of it. There would be no do-overs. I would probably escape the dungeons, as would James, but Leo and Nicole would not. Their families had no influence or money, nothing the court would take into consideration when trying them. And my mother would not speak for them. She would only speak for me to save her reputation.

I probably would be sent to some boarding school then, where there would be rules and regulations and everything I hated. If I had tried, I could have been an excellent noble child. I love dancing, dresses, jewellery...all of that. The problem had been that I found myself incapable of sitting still, and, most of all, listening. Leo and Nicole would have been better suited for it, instead of James and I, which was ironic.

Except Nicole couldn't be sociable and charming, which was one of the few things I'd excelled at. Of course, when every little bit of trouble seems to link back to you, things like that no longer mattered much. Because I could only manage to talk headmistresses into not calling my parents so many times before it was over.

None of that mattered now. I was here, and I was going to have fun.

I tugged James forward slightly faster, ignoring his mumbled protest. "Just come on. There's chocolate."

At that, he stopped complaining.

Leo and Nicole walked a ways behind us, joining the flow of guests into the ballroom. They looked like they belonged–just other guests from some fancy noble family. It didn't matter that they didn't recognize them; no one would ever admit it, and would simply assume they knew someone else. But they wouldn't ask someone else, because what if they were daring to forget the queen's third cousin twice removed or something? As good as security as they thought they were, their ridiculous noble standards of being polite actually ruined it all for them.

"Annabelle. Hold on for a minute." Leo and Nicole appeared behind us, looking happier than I'd seen either of them in weeks, if not for the faint glimpse of worry in Leo's eyes. He had never been good at hiding anything. "You all know the plan?"

We nodded. "Nicole slips off, heads up to the tower. James sets off the first bomb at...what was it again?"

Leo sighed. "Midnight. Two hours from now."

"Right. James sets the first bomb off. You and I–" I grinned. "--begin our part of the distraction. Create some chaos. All that. James sets the second bomb off–"

"Ten minutes from the first one."

"Right. You and I...keep trying not to die, I guess." Nicole frowned. "And Nicole does her thing...how long would you say we have to keep this up?"

"Not long," Nicole said. "If I can help it. Thirty minutes, tops. Unless something happens." She glanced at Leo. "Which it won't."

"Well, if you're not out, we are," I said, shrugging.

"Annabelle," Leo snapped.

"I'm kidding!"

"Just stop. And you missed a step."

"Huh? No, I didn't. Is this a trick?"

"No–but it'd serve you right. You need to disable as many magical alarms in the tower as possible. Before any of what you said goes into action. Say..." He glanced up at the ornate clock on the wall. "Eleven-thirty. Be back here in time, and try to be discreet."

I winked. "I'm always discreet."

...

"Please, James? Pretty please?"

"No. Go away."

"Ugh. You're so sulky." I frowned. "Just one dance. And then you can sit here and stuff your face with chocolate and sulk and whatever else you're doing for the rest of the night. Promise."

"Why don't you dance with someone else? I don't want to, I told you that."

"I have. All night. Now it's your turn."

"Oh, so you're giving everyone turns now?" He rolled his eyes.

"Yes. I am important, you know. But you're so boring. You wouldn't even dance with Nicole when I stole Leo from her. Lame. Just one dance, James?" I bounced on my toes. "Please, please, please, please, please, please–"

"Would you shut up? And I already told you, Nicole didn't want to dance." But he stood up, anyway. "Fine. One dance, and then I'm done. Like you said I could be. Remember that?"

"Yeah, yeah, whatever." I dragged him out towards the ballroom floor, where people were already beginning. "Do whatever you want, I don't care." I yanked his arms into position, rolling my eyes. "Not now, stupid. You remember this. Don't play dumb. Unless you'd like me to dance your part? You can have mine." I smiled sweetly at him.

"No way." Suddenly, he had become a proficient dancer again. A true miracle. "What if someone sees us? Like, I don't know, people who know we shouldn't be here?"

"Please, I've been out here all night. No one's paying any attention, really. And, if they were, they'd just be happy for our parents, who have finally gotten their unruly children under control, it seems."

"What do you mean? You always danced."

"You didn't. And I didn't dance with you. Probably, they'd think we were some sort of arranged match." James nearly tripped, and I pulled him through the next step. "Keep up, Jamie. You know it's true. People were always talking about it."

"It would've never happened. Your family doesn't have near enough money."

I laughed. "You think that's why your family wanted a match? My mother could have anyone she wanted for me–she didn't have to try and insist on scum like you. But your family is falling fast, money or no. And mine may not be as wealthy as yours, but at least we have influence."

We stared at each other for a moment, briefly silent, before James spoke. "We sound ridiculous."

I giggled. "We do. I haven't talked to anyone in my family for about two years."

"Me neither."

Suddenly, the whole thing seemed hilarious. James and I both burst out laughing at the same time, etiquette forgotten. Passing couples gave us weird or angry looks–clearly, we were ruining their romantic evening. But I didn't care. James and I agreed on something for once, and I was happier than I ever had been, here with people like them. 

Word Count: 1,264

Next chapter is a lot of...fun. So just be prepared, I guess :D