Nicole - My Friends Will Not Shut Up, and More

The carriage rattled over the cobblestones, lurching around every turn at a breakneck speed. To say the least, it was uncomfortable, but I tried to ignore it, focusing out the window. Soon. I'd be out of this too-tight box soon.

"James," Annabelle said through gritted teeth, as we lurched around another turn. "Who exactly did you hire to drive this thing?"

"Relax, Annie." James looked perfectly comfortable in the carriage, despite the fact that we were being tossed around like scrambled eggs. He didn't have one hair out of place. "We'll get to a spot to rest soon. And then I want to drive."

"Tell me you're kidding," Annabelle groaned. "I repeat, you don't know how."

"I know enough."

"We're not doing this again! Tell him he can't drive, Leo!"

"Can you actually drive?" Leo asked.

James shrugged. "Yeah. I used to."

"Then he can drive."

"Not helpful!" Annabelle moaned. "Nicole, back me up!"

"Sorry." I shrugged and tightened my grip on the seat. I needed air. I needed to get out of here. But it looked like that wouldn't be happening terribly soon, despite James' reassurances. The signs said we were in Enfield, which was incredibly remote. There wouldn't be any stopping until at least the next town over–a good hour away.

Not that James would know that, or care.

I went back to staring out the window. I could hear Annabelle's complaints from beside me, and James' responses, but it all sounded like it was underwater. I was exhausted, and the lack of rest had begun to catch up with me. We weren't supposed to stop for the night for hours yet, but, even then, I didn't know if I would be able to sleep.

I rarely was.

And the carriage was definitely not an option. For one, I'd probably bash my head against the window, for another, I didn't like the idea of everyone watching me. What if something happened? What if-?

"Right, Nicole?" Annabelle asked, looking at me expectantly.

"I...what? Sorry."

"I'm telling them why letting James drive is a bad idea," she said, glaring at James. "I mean, this is bad enough already–why are we trying to die?"

"We're already on a basically suicidal job," James said. "What's it matter?"

"We could at least arrive in one piece!"

I pressed my fingers to my temple. My head felt like it was going to explode, or like I was slowly collapsing in on myself. "Please, stop."

To my surprise, they did. "Sorry," Annabelle said, her voice little more than a whisper. "We'll stop."

"No, I'm sorry–you're not doing anything wrong. Just...pretend I didn't say anything." Fantastic. Not only was I zoned out and distracted, but I was also making myself a burden to everyone else. They were looking at me like I was a porcelain doll, ready to shatter at any moment. Which probably wasn't the best way to start this trip.

A moment later, unsurely, James and Annabelle's bickering started up again, like always. At least that stayed constant. For now, anyway. But maybe that would change, too. Who could tell, really?

"We need a plan," Leo said, interrupting Annabelle and James' bickering and my train of thoughts–probably purposely. "And there's no time like the present, right?"

James stared. "Are you sure you're a teenager, and not a middle aged man trapped in a teenager's body and crying for help?"

He didn't look amused. "Seriously, James, are you just planning to waltz on in there and take them?"