8

We walked through the big wooden doors. Into a very crowded dining hall. Where four long tables sat with all the kids. Everyone was looking at us.

"It's not real, the ceiling. It's just bewitched to look like the night sky. I read about it in Hogwarts: A History." Said Hermione.

I looked up in surprise. It was like the night sky! We all stopped in front of the head table.

"Will you wait along here, please? Now, before we begin, Professor Dumbledore would like to say a few words." Said professor McGonagall.

The man named Professor Dumbledore stood.

"I have a few start-of-term notices I wish to announce. The first years please note that the dark forest is strictly forbidden to all students. Also, our caretaker, Mr. Filch has asked me to remind you that the 3rd floor corridor on the right-hand side is out of bounds to everyone who does not wish to die a most painful death. Thank you." Said professor Dumbledore.

"Death?" Whispered Neville behind me.

"That doesn't sound great." I said back to Neville.

"When I call your name, you will come forth, I shall place the sorting hat on your head, and you will be sorted into your houses. Hermione Granger." Said professor McGonagall.

"Oh, no. Okay, relax." said Hermione.

She goes up there and sits down on the stool. Places a strange hat on her head.

"Mental that one, I'm telling you." Said Ron.

Harry nodded and I kicked his foot. He turned to look at me.

"Not nice." I said.

"Ah, right then...hmm...right. Okay...Gryffindor!!" Said the hat.

The table to our right explodes into cheers. Hermione jumped up smiling and goes to sit at the table.

"Draco Malfoy." Said professor McGonagall.

Draco goes up there and sits down. The hat barely touches his head before it decides.

"Slytherin." Said the hat.

"There isn't a witch or wizard who went bad who wasn't in Slytherin." Said Ron to Harry.

"Susan Bones." Said professor McGonagall.

I watched as a girl next to me went up there.

"Ahh." Said Harry.

I looked over at him.

"Harry, what is it?" I asked.

"Nothing... nothing, I'm fine." Said Harry.

"Let's see...I know...Hufflepuff!" Said the hat.

"Ronald Weasley." Said professor McGonagall.

Ron went up nervously.

"Ha! Another Weasley. I know just what to do with you... Gryffindor!!" Said the hat.

"Harry Potter." Said professor McGonagall.

Everyone in the room got quiet. Harry went up there and sat down. It was a while before the hat spoke.

"GRYFFINDOR!!" Yelled the hat.

The table of the Gryffindors cheered loudly. The twins from earlier started chanting 'We've got Potter'.

Then everything got quiet again.

"Hallie Potter." Said professor McGonagall.

I walked up there and sat down. The hat was placed on my head. I couldn't see anything. It was mumbling things about my character.