"Others will bring this same issue to the council," Aaron said. He spared a single worried glance at Connor. "Including his mother."

"But," Connor sputtered again.

Jameson laughed. "Of course, Karen has always been a protective woman. Let her bring it."

Both Connor and Aaron started to protest but Jameson shushed them. "Better she bring the case forward then another. Let it be out of a mother's concern. Don't worry, the council is agreed." He exchanged a look with his fellow elder as if to confirm this.

One of them nodded. "Indeed, Arthur is right. We lose face if we switch now."

"So let the issue be brought," Jameson said. "And let it be discussed. It will change nothing and perhaps appease the concerns. As to your compliment, you must go. But you shall not go alone. Aaron shall be your runner. If there are wolves I trust to cross that much neutral land, it's Vince and Mitch. Let his pack bring messages back and forth, as they make offers."

Connor nodded. "Of course, I would be delighted to have my father's help on this." He faced off to his father and the other elder. "I know I'm in over my head, I do. I like to think that I can handle it, but I won't turn down good advice, never."

"Good, because the tribe will send you an official advisor as well," Jameson said. "Arthur."

All of Jonathan's pack mates were on their feet. Erica snarled. Tanner was glaring. It was Connor that spoke, "What? Him?"

"Yes," Jameson replied evenly.

"No, not him," Connor shouted.

The other elder was on his feet as well. "Arthur's been one of our top wolves for more years than you've been alive, boy," he shouted back.

Jameson was far calmer. "I understand your reservations, especially after the incidents of last summer. But Arthur has more knowledge of the Fleischer tribe, and the Sons of Garm than any. He's a crafty warrior who has led his pack wisely. You will need his advice."

"I won't have it."

"We know plenty of the Sons of Garm," Amanda threw in.

Jonathan looked at his father. Arthur was sitting calmly, unperturbed by the anger being directed at him. He wasn't even looking at Connor or Amanda, he was looking at Jonathan.

It was a peculiar look, one he reserved for Robby, when he knew Robby was lying to protect the kids or someone else, when he knew Robby was going to take a punishment for something someone else did. Do you part, Jonathan read.

He knew what that part would be and that it was something he needed to do. He nodded slightly.

Connor turned and kicked his chair. "I will not have that man in my camp. I've enough enemies where I am going." He stormed off.

Amanda started after him. Jonathan caught her arm. "Let him go," he said quietly. To his surprise, Amanda set back down as Jonathan rose and went after his alpha.

"I can't believe they want to send him as our advisor," Connor fumed as the two of them walked the length of the Elders village and past the Stavanger church that stood on the hill. "After all he did to us last year. After he nearly killed my parent's pack. After all the shit he's done to you." If Connor had any questions about why it was Jonathan and not his mate beside him, it didn't tell in his voice. "God, I can't believe they'd think such a thing. Or that I'd accept it."

"I know," Jonathan said. He let Connor walk for nearly a mile, raging the entire way before he interjected again. "We need him."

"What?" Connor spun around and stared at him.

"We need him," Jonathan repeated. "I hate saying it, you know that. You know how much I hate the thought of him around this summer."

"Yeah, I can't believe Jameson would do that to you. He's got to know how you feel about Arthur."

"Yes," Jonathan said. "But he knows that we need him, too. You heard him, he's right. Dad knows more about how the Fleischer's operate then anyone. He knows strategy better than anyone."

"We can take on the Fleischer. Sons of Garm, even. We proved that this spring."

"Yeah but we won't get out of this council by fighting," Jonathan said. "We need to be clever. If the Leidulf's simply refuse, Fenrir will try to make an example out of us."

"Let him try," Connor snarled.

"But if we can pull together a coalition, enough tribes that don't want to opt into whatever treaty he's offering, then we have a chance of avoiding war."

Connor put his arm around Jonathan's shoulders, looking back at the camp. "I don't need Arthur to think up clever strategies. I got you."

Jonathan flushed at the complement. "Yeah, but we need him. Trust me. Besides there are my sisters to reckon with."

Connor raised an eyebrow.

"Lots of people in the tribe want your dad to be the next elder. You know that. But not all. Arthur's still got supporters. Two of my sisters are alphas in their own packs. That gives him three packs, guaranteed. Three or four others are close enough to him. Nearly a quarter of the tribe owes him some sort of loyalty. You want to get the tribe behind you, and if it come to war you'll need them, then you'll need Arthur. Besides you know what they say, keep your friends close..."

"And your enemies closer," Connor finished. His shoulders slumped. "I hate him, though. That's not gonna change."

"Me, too."