"You can let that go now," Prince Delvin smirked, gesturing to the laundry she was still holding. Her cheeks flushed red with embarrassment.

"I knew that," She spat. Of course she didn't, but the Prince didn't need to know that did he. Hiding her face, she placed the laundry delicately on the floor beside her, careful to keep it all folded.

"I want to offer you something." Prince Delvin blurted out, resting his head on his hands. Careless, and carefree, like he didn't really care if she took the offer or not. Lavinia opened her mouth to refuse immediately, but he held up a hand for her to quieten. "Do you know the Queen very well?" He continued.

"Of course you don't. No one in this Kingdom does. To put it simply, I want to usurp her. She is undeserving of the title Queen. She treats her subjects like toys. She taxes the poor more so than the rich. She denies our subjects magic,"

"She is no Queen. She is a narcissist." His crystal eyes darkened and Lavinia instinctively knew that wasn't the only reason he wanted to take over her position. But it wasn't her place to know. Family matters were delicate, she would be the first to know that.

"My father is a blind fool. With nothing better to do than stuff his face. But her. She's far smarter. So, Lavinia Armetris, I offer you a deal. I will right off your family's debt and double your pay." He grinned. "But, I expect you to help me in return."

Lavinia scrutinised him for a moment. "What's the catch?" She asked apprehensively. She would be stupid to think otherwise. He titled his head, the tassels on his shoulders gently brushing together.

"I need you to be my eyes and ears in this castle. Most of the workers here are hired directly under my mother. They are her spies. I need you to tell me everything you hear, even if it's relatively normal." He said, his voice a deep baritone.

"And if my mother comes to you with a similar order, you accept. But you will work for me, and only me. Do you understand what I'm saying?" Lavinia nodded, her mouth surprisingly dry. What he was asking her was no better than treason. But the offer was too good to refuse. No debt and more money? No one could turn that down.

She could save up and finally sell the farm. They'd be able to live somewhere comfortable, there would always be food, water and something warm to come home too. That's if her mother actually even came back. But she would, she would come home. She had too.

"Okay. Okay. I'll do it." Lavinia agreed, with a firm nod. The smile on the Prince's face stretched even further, and it sparked a feeling of trepidation in her. It was a happy smile, no, no it was positively predatory. Like a wolf who'd caught his prey. She was exactly where he wanted her to be. Nothing good would come of this, but she couldn't refuse.

"Lavinia." Prince Delvin began, standing up from his seat. He came over to her, and with great care, placed his hand on top of hers, where it rested on her thigh. "From now on, your life is mine."

He waved his hand once more, and the lock sound echoed again. He smiled, standing back to his full height. It was intimating to say the least. His broad shoulders were squared up, biceps tensed against his tight uniform. 

"That will be all for today." He began, then smirked at her devilishly, "You can go back to your laundry now." Lavinia opened her mouth, taken aback by the audacity. She stood up, pointing her finger at him.

But he was gone. In a blink, the Prince had disappeared. 

She collapsed back into the sofa seat, rubbing her hand across her face with a sigh as she looked to the ceiling. A shirt from the top of the pile toppled over, and collapsing the neatly packed clothes she'd washed. The innocuous clothing pile stared up at her from, as if to say 'hah, fuck you too'. 

"Im fucked, arent i?" 

-----

This was perfect. Absolutely fantastic Delvin thought, sitting by the body of Duke Kylan. He was slumped at his desk. This time he hadn't used magic to kill him, no he'd poisoned the wine directly at the winery he frequently brought from. He'd turned up to the 'old gold' winery, and of course no one batted an eye.

They let him tour the grounds, showing off the rows and rows of grapes, the mill and basements. Trying to get his favour, he played into it. Letting them think that he really was just there for the wine. And then, he brought a barrel, and when he got back to the Palace poisoned it. He then sent it off to the Duke as a gift, copying his mothers writing in a urdently sweet 'thank you for the help letter'.

Delvin had to see if it worked or not, and teleported to the Duke's residence. If it had, great. If not he'd pass it off as a visit to his daughter, the potential crown princess. Make them think he was on their side.

Well, it worked amazingly.

But before that, he'd run into his sister and Lavinia. The very act of her defending his only sister told him all he needed to know. She wasn't a spy. He could use this. He could use her. Though the very thought of him doing that left a bad taste on his tongue. Lavinia seemed like an innocent soul, pure and untouched by the same darkness that had swallowed him whole.

Did he really want to sully her by dragging her into this mess he was in?

Yes. Yes he did.

He ignored the voice that told him he'd enjoy ruining her, and not in the way he'd originally planned. With a huff, he flicked Duke Kylans cheek, watching with disinterest as the body came cluttering down with a thud, face first into the desk.

Maybe, just maybe Delvin  was going to be the one scorched by this. And not Lavinia.

----

Authors Note: 

Hey guys! I hope you enjoyed this chapter! Id love to hear about your thoughts. If you liked it drop a heart or comment. 

As i promised, ill be updating this a bit more frequently. So i hope you enjoy it as much as TVATG <3 

I finally set up some social media for my writing and books, ill be giving you guys updates and even more there. Its pretty bare atm as ive just set it up, so bare with me <3

Thanks so much for reading, 

lots of love, 

Sam.E