Chapter One: The Agent

It wasn't the best day for a property viewing, but it was predictable. Ben looked towards the sky and with a shiver, he raised the collar of his grey coat. Rain pattered against his giant umbrella, decorated with the company logo...

Goldman & Peterson, Matching people with property since 2003.

He was the Goldman half of the business, head of lettings and property management. Ben wondered, yet again, if he'd drawn the short straw. Lettings were the backbone of the business, but it meant dealing with the constant stream of calls and emails from disgruntled tenants and tactfully managing the expectations of greedy landlords and wanna-be property entrepreneurs. Ben had learnt to kiss arse and smile at the same time. He was the frontman of the business. In charge of marketing and with a keen eye for refurbishments.

By the time he turned thirty-four, he'd ticked most things off his wish list. And nineteen years later, he was just as hungry for success. Money was addictive.

A trickle of water ran down his neck, and he tipped the umbrella back.

The house looming behind him had been on his books for fifteen years. He'd let it at least twenty times and there was no doubt he would let it today. On paper, it was a gem. Three/four bedrooms, two bathrooms, a large kitchen-diner, two receptions, and a staircase straight out of a costume drama. Built around 1750, it oozed history, class, and privilege. Inevitably came the question, Why is it so cheap?

The answer he'd rehearsed in his head so many times the words flowed smoothly.

Ben watched a silver Mercedes pull up onto the cobbles opposite the house. He waited as the couple crossed the road. And with a sigh, he smiled, his hand outstretched in greeting.

"Good morning, I'm Ben Goldman," he said, shaking the man's hand.

"I'm Nick Reynolds and this is my wife Georgina." Ben shook Georgina's hand as he studied the pair. They were young, early to mid-thirties. Filled with ideas of grandeur and more money than sense.

"Let's get out of the rain." Ben turned the key and pushed the door open. He should've prepared, he should've switched the lights on, but he hadn't. Not today. Not this time.

Ben closed his umbrella and placed it by the door. He bent down and gathered the mail that covered the stone floor. The light switch was to his left, and he flicked the lights on. The house smelt of neglect. A musty odour that hinted at a lingering damp problem.

"The house is a little stuffy. Nothing an airing wouldn't put right." Ben dropped the letters on a shelf.

The couple followed him into the hallway. Folding down his coat collar, Ben began his well-rehearsed spiel.

"This is a lovely, large, family house that dates back to the 1750s. And as you can see, it retains most of its original features. The doors are Georgian as are the fireplaces, coving, staircase, and windows. Originally, this house and next door were one much larger property. The current landlord split the property into two houses. It makes more sense for the rental market. Seven-bedroom houses sit on our books for months. Next door is a four-bedroom rental."

"Is the house next door vacant?" Georgie asked.

"Yes. It's available at a slightly higher rent. I have the keys with me for both houses. I can show you next door if you would like. However, that end of the house would have been the servants' quarters and the bedrooms are not as spacious... Lower ceilings and less coving." Ben walked ahead of the couple to the living room. He slipped into the corner and pressed his back against the wall. Waiting.

"Wow." Nick dropped his wife's hand and stepped towards the window.

That was Ben's cue to speak.

"It is unusual to have such a spacious living room in this price range. In fact, you will find every room in this house equally impressive." Ben gestured towards a door. "Through there is the kitchen diner." Ben opened the door. The warmth from the room was a pleasant relief from the cold everywhere else. "There are tiled floors, and granite worktops and the aga provides heating for both rooms. Honestly, it's surprising the amount of heat an aga gives off, making this a very usable, cosy space both in the winter and the summer. Have either of you cooked on an aga?"

"No. Never," Georgina said. Her face lit up. "But we'll learn."

Bingo! She's fallen in love with the house and if she loves it, then it's a done deal.

"As you can see, the roof allows plenty of light. This space would originally have been a courtyard, but at some time in the house's history, the previous owners installed a glass roof."

"Where does this door lead?" Nick tapped on the door.

"The cellar." Ben waited for Nick to step aside and then opened the door. "Mind the steps. They're quite steep." Ben held the handrail as he flicked on the light. "This house has a large cellar divided into four rooms. One is a wine cellar." He pointed to his right. "The other is a strong room. Unfortunately, we no longer have the keys for that door, so it stays open. It's handy for additional storage, though. The owner has fitted the main cellar with a submersible pump as the water level sometimes rises and the pump automatically clicks on. Since the installation of the pump, there have been no problems with flooding. This cellar stays permanently dry. And finally, the laundry room."

"It's a usable space... good head height," Nick said as he waved his hand back and forth above his head.

"Creepy, though," added Georgie with a frown.

"Shall we look at the bedrooms?" Ben asked, already heading for the stairs.

"Sure." Nick nudged Georgie towards the stairs.

Ben walked up the stairs to the largest room.

"There are three bedrooms upstairs and a fourth bedroom downstairs... if you choose to use the second reception room as a spare bedroom." Ben checked the couple was still behind him.

"Three bedrooms are plenty." Nick walked two steps behind the agent. Georgie was one step behind him.

"Have you any children?" Ben held his breath.

"No."

Ben breathed out, the tenseness of his shoulders relaxing a little.

"The master bedroom is to the right, a smaller room directly opposite. There is another bedroom further along the hallway, a shower room, and a separate bathroom at the very end. Look around and I'll meet you downstairs." Ben lingered at the top of the stairs.

"Sure. Thanks." Nick strode towards the master bedroom with Georgie following, her eyes wide and her cheeks flushed. With his work done, Ben headed back downstairs to wait.

Ben stood in the kitchen by the aga. In front of him was a set of French doors and, beyond them, a large garden with an ornamental pond. The weekly visits of a gardener had kept the lawns and flowerbeds tidy.

Ben stepped closer to the French doors, his eyes drifted to the orangery. The white paint had flaked from the timbers and a pane of glass had cracked since his last viewing. Old houses were money pits, in constant need of maintenance. He made a mental note to tell Terry.

A wisp of a breeze rustled his hair and Ben's fingers tightened around the keys still in his hand.

The couple stepped through the doorway. "We love it. Where do we sign?" Nick said with a smile.

Ben smiled his widest, most professional smile. "Great! We'll run a few checks, but I'm sure there won't be any issues. So... welcome to your new home."