"Oy, pea-brain!" yelled Ron from the other side of the chamber, and he threw a metal pipe at it. The troll didn't even seem to notice the pipe hitting its shoulder, but it heard the yell and paused again, turning its ugly snout toward Ron instead, giving Harry time to run around it.

"Over here." Harry said motioning to the two trying to get near him.

Percy no matter how much he disliked Ron saw he was in danger and went straight into action. He pushed Hermione toward harry and then grabbed a shard from one of the sink. Percy using a bit of demigod strength drove the shard right into the beasts back.

Only to realize that it didn't go that deep and now they were the main focus. 

Ron pulled out his own wand – not knowing what he was going to do he heard himself cry the first spell that came into his head: "Wingardium Leviosa!"

The club flew suddenly out of the troll's hand, rose high, high up into the air, turned slowly over – and dropped, with a sickening crack, on its owner's head. 

The troll swayed on the spot and then fell flat on its face, with a thud that made the whole room shake.

It was Hermione who spoke first.

"Is it – dead?"

"No it's just been knocked out." Came Percy's reply.

A sudden slamming and loud footsteps made the four of them look up. They hadn't realized what a racket they had been making, but of course, someone downstairs must have heard the crashes and the troll's roars. A moment later, Professor McGonagall had come bursting into the room, closely followed by Snape, with Quirrell bringing up the rear. Quirrell took one look at the troll, let out a faint whimper, and sat quickly down on a toilet, clutching his heart.

Snape bent over the troll. Professor McGonagall was looking at Ron, Harry and Percy. Harry had never seen her look so angry. Her lips were white. Hopes of winning fifty points for Gryffindor faded quickly from Harry's mind.

"What on earth were you thinking of?" said Professor McGonagall, with cold fury in her voice. Harry looked at Ron, who was still standing with his wand in the air. Percy was as dumbfounded as he was. "You're lucky you weren't killed. Why aren't you in your dormitory?"

Snape gave Harry a swift, piercing look. Harry looked at the floor. He wished Ron would put his wand down.

Then a small voice came out of the shadows.

"Please, Professor McGonagall – they were looking for me and Percy."

"Miss Granger!"

Percy looked at Hermione like she was insane.

"We went looking for the troll because I – I thought I could deal with it because I've read all about them – you know, and Percy being the most knowledge able first year."

Ron dropped his wand. Hermione Granger, telling a downright lie to a teacher?

"If they hadn't found us, we'd be dead now. Harry helped us to safety, Percy stabbed the troll, and Ron knocked it out with its own club. They didn't have time to come and fetch anyone. It was about to finish us off when they arrived."

Harry and Ron tried to look as though this story wasn't new to them. 

"Well – in that case..." said Professor McGonagall, staring at the four of them, "Miss Granger Mister Potter, you foolish children, how could you think of tackling a mountain troll on your own?"

Hermione hung her head. Harry was speechless. Hermione was the last person to do anything against the rules, and here she was, pretending she had, to get them out of trouble. It was as if Snape had started handing out sweets.

"Miss Granger, five points will be taken from Gryffindor for this," said Professor McGonagall. "I'm very disappointed in you. If you're not hurt at all, you'd better get off to Gryffindor tower. 

"You also will lose five points mister Potter is that understood?" Came Snape's voice. "Your Lucky it isn't more."

"Yes professor." Percy hung his head.

"Students are finishing the feast in their houses off you go you two."

Hermione and Percy left.

Before they separated Percy confronted Hermione. "You just wanted Slytherin to lose points didn't you?"

"I have no idea what you're talking about." she said with a smile as she left.

Percy smiled as he started to walk back, but it faded soon after.

Why did Professor Quirrell let the troll in?

(shorter one start the next one soon