Chapter 25 |Eyes Closed|

Start from the beginning

"Blaze probably held you back, huh?" I tilt my head up to him.

"All she told me was that you were very sick. Believe me when I say I wished it was something as fixable as taking cough medicine. Finding out about all the medication that goes through your system was the alarm." He mumbled that last part.

"So what does this have to do with Shadow waking up?" I finally ask.

A twitch from his lips, I can see that he's trying to hide a smile, maybe a laugh.

"My wife and cousin may have thrown me to the curb from your actions. I could just kill you myself, but I don't see much satisfaction in it, to be honest with you. Once I put it together, I just know Shadow would take the ultimate satisfaction from doing whatever he wants to you." He finally smiles.

"Kill me?" I snort.

"It's up to him, you did ruin his life, and this is the only way to repay him. I don't think he'd let you off that easy."

I think that's just...

Hilarious.

"Have you met Shadow?"

A spurt of cockiness and a twitch of content for my situation is making me a little dizzy. It's taking everything within my being to hold in my laughter.

"He couldn't kill even if your life was on the line." Maybe a laugh was more, but I preferred to keep a smile plastered on my face because how could I not feel that way towards this fool?

"Nothing is on the line. No consequences, just revenge. Considering your history, it's perfect for a suicide sob story." He smiles down at me like he wants me to feel belittled.

"Aww going down the staged suicide route, huh? You're so tacky." I rolled my eyes.

He leans close to me and pinches my ear, "Aren't you precious?" His fingers brushed against my face as his smile grew wider. We both heard Shadow leaning up from the bed and we turned our heads simultaneously towards him.

"Count the minutes." Silver flashes a glance.

"You know he's not capable of doing what you want him to do, right? He can barely stand up straight." I point out the obvious. "For someone who claims to be his best friend, you aren't aware that he's not the type to kill someone. Even someone like me..."

Of course, it's stupid. I have no reason to be afraid of Shadow. I know he's not pleased with my actions but he'd never just kill me.

"Look at me."

Silver's fingers snap in my face and I see Shadow finally sitting up on his own.

"I don't care what he wants, you will be dead before I leave this room. Even if he chooses to do nothing, I'll do it myself."

That gave me a chill, I'll admit.

Shadow coughs a few times before finding his voice.