Chapter 8

The morning of the celebration consisted of people shouting while passing out flyers about the festivities. Vendors sold gems embedded in jewelry, guaranteed genuine that she scoffed at, of his favorite color, getting women to stop and buy as they thought it would catch his attention. Balloons, Lydia didn't think they'd have here, strung in bunches of different shapes and sizes, being sold mostly to kids or the occasional couple.

Food stalls sold delicious smelling food, some she couldn't even describe or say she knew what type of meat it was. Her endeavor was futile and boring as she walked the streets, checking everything out. It was a normal type of festival one usually gets tired of after years of going, yet they still seemed in high spirits over it. Though she didn't have a royal family she looked up to, just the lesser of the evil of political people who thought for themselves.

Celebrating birthdays seemed to get old once you turned sixteen and less as you got older. She had stopped at sixteen, having a better company with her friends and going out.

No party, no birthday cake, no presents. It was the company she kept close-the laughs, the smiles, and the teasing. The fond memories one made of that day.

Not the extravagant event displayed all over Alenris. She didn't know him and doubted many she could see didn't know him personally. It was publicity and a way to keep everyone in favor of the royal family is the way she saw it.

Lydia walked the streets, getting further into Alenris the more she walked. The view was more breathtaking than the festival itself. Couples smiling as they held hands, dancing in one area where a musician played. Kids ran around an open area in a plaza, playing a game she could only call tag. To her, the day was more about the freedom the people seemed to have than celebrating, but she was sure for them, it came hand in hand.

Walking near the fountain in the center of the plaza, she took a seat on one of the benches, scanning the area around her. No matter where she looked, smiles and laughs were all over. It tugged at her heart knowing Asher wasn't there with her yet. She didn't hate what he did, dislike was more the word. His eyes held guilt, yet perseverance every time he left. She always heard the edge in his tone like he didn't want to leave, that she'd beg him to stay, but couldn't. Not when it seemed he had unsettled business he still wouldn't tell her about, that made him have to do it.

"Do you mind if I sit here? I forget how tiring these things are."

Turning to the voice, she found a man a bit older than her, gesturing to the empty seat beside her. She didn't see the problem at first, not many were empty as some had taken seats together, and she hadn't seen him approach, yet she knew how tiring it could be to walk even five feet after her feet began to ache.

"No, go right ahead," she replied, sliding down a bit to leave more room between them.

"Thank you. It's a lovely day for this, don't you think?" He asked, smiling up at the sky.

It wasn't an odd question, yet his tone made her think he wasn't talking about the festival. His eyes crinkled around the edges as his smile was beaming with delight. They didn't venture to meet her gaze for a beat.

"It is. The sunshine feels nice and it's not too hot," she replied curtly, not wanting to be rude or seem uncomfortable before she found it if she was paranoid or right to be on edge.

"Hmm.. You're right. Say, what's your favorite part of the festival? You must have been to many of these before, hoping to get the Crown Prince to notice you like many of the other women."

Her nose scrunched up in displeasure before she could stop it, eliciting a laugh from the man.

"I don't have a favorite part, least of all making a man I don't know look my way," Lydia retorted, snorting at the absurdity of his accusation. She'd gladly let any of those women be in the front, swooning over a man they'd likely never have a chance with. Small talk with the man by her seemed to set her nerves on edge, wishing Asher would hurry up with what he had to do.