Chapter 14

Waking up to the shuffling and giggles of Sarah the following day, Lydia realized what it would have been like to have nieces and nephews. The soft patter of feet against wood as Leon tried quietly moving around and getting them ready without waking her. She couldn't help the smile that crept up her face as she heard Tharbek's grumbling about how much energy they had in the morning. It was the deep voice that was supposed to mean he was serious, yet his voice shook as he tried to keep his laughs in; the giggling that followed meant he didn't do that good of a job, and they still heard it.

Theo had only woken up three times in the night, enough that she was able to get some shut eyes, but not enough that she didn't wake up every so often in worry to check on him, dampening the cloth in water again and placing a blanket over him when his fever went down. She'd run her fingers through his hair soothingly, and even though he didn't groan in pain, the motion brought comfort to her, and she hoped Theo did too.

"I'm hungry."

Lydia glanced down at Theo as his voice croaked from below her. A smile graced her lips as his eyes found hers, the sparkle in his eyes shining through the tiredness he still felt. She helped him sit up when he began to move, his arms shaking under his weight.

"Theo!"

"Sarah! Easy, he just woke up," Leon scolded, stopping her from throwing her arms around Theo. "He won't have strength for at least another day or two. Getting sick takes a lot out of someone."

"Leon's right. You wouldn't want to catch what he has, either."

"What about you then? You've been by his side all day and night. Won't you get sick?" Efrain questioned with concern.

Getting sick wasn't something Lydia was worried about. She had enough vaccinations and sickness herself that she knew her body would most likely be able to fight off whatever she caught from anyone there with the help of the few herbs she knew would help ease some of the discomforts.

"I can take the same thing I gave him if I get sick. I'm not worried about myself. My body's built up enough immunity to fight it off easier than you guys can at that moment," she assured them. She was glad their curious expressions didn't go further into questions. She could explain how the immune system worked, but not how she knew that.

"How are you feeling, Theo?"

His eyebrows scrunched up, his eyes glossy as he seemed to think deeply over his assessment.

"I'm more hungry and tired than anything. I don't feel as hot as I did yesterday, but slightly sore," Theo responded, bringing a hand up as he made a fist and releasing it repeatedly.

"That's normal. It'll be good to get another day's rest while doing light activities. Maybe a quick walk, but nothing more."

"Yes, mother," Theo sarcastically retorted, rolling his eyes.

Lydia sucked in a breath, not expecting that response or that it would catch her off guard as much as it did. She heard Leon snort a comeback while Sarah softly laughed. Her eyes caught Tharbek's, his tender knowing gaze made her swallow thickly, clenching her jaw as a sense of fulfillment swelled her with pride that none of them objected to his sarcasm; they welcomed it as if their thoughts had all floated around that idea, but didn't speak it out loud until now.

She wanted to get a bigger room at the inn for the kids to stay with her, yet she had many reasons that held her back from going forth with it. One was the looming prophecy over her head, another was the knights that seemed keen on following her around, and the last was not knowing where she stood with the kids and then rejecting her offer in fear. She'd have to find out if the men loitering around where the kids stayed had to do with her and how much danger she had already put them in before she went ahead with the plan she had formed.