He Is Amazing

Lunch had been a media frenzy, but Austin had been happy to be photographed with her parents and had proudly said they were his girlfriend's parents when asked who they were by fans. Ophelia watched as both her parents were made to feel like they were wanted and important. They never ask for much, only to be included, that's all. Her parents are kind and loving and they ask for nothing but that to be reflected back. Even as a child her parents had tried their best for her and Liam, making sure their movies were wholesome and family-friendly. When they got paid for their work their parents never touched a cent even when they offered it to them. Her father had said that it was their money, they had worked hard for it and he didn't need it. A camper, his wife, two happy kids, and a Bigfoot sighting were all he needed in life. Now here they were being made the center of attention by a man who has nothing to gain from being nice to them.

On the way home Austin had stopped at a fruit stand and grabbed three huge watermelons then cut them up for Ophelia and fussed over her till she was comfortably seated out by the pool then he left with Rod and Oliver to finish off some work on his album while Ophelia munched on her watermelon in the sun. Her parents were unpacking their camper and making themselves at home in a spare room that Aubery had gotten ready for them. Ophelia shoots off a text to Xolani telling him she will do both movies and then sees an unread text from Jim. It's funny, normally when she sees a text from him she feels sick with worry - what now? Runs through her head, but not this time, this time she finds herself annoyed and rolls her eyes. She opens it without fear.

I have seen your little media show.
I am not stupid, it's PR.
A man like that would never bother
with the likes of your boring ass.
I tried to be nice by only taking what
you owe me, but seeing as we are both
playing games - I am taking everything.
You are washed up and when I am done
you will be on the streets where
you belong, like the whore you are.

His words are like acid, nasty, and meant to scare her. But she feels nothing, she even giggles at the text as she reads it again. He can say what he likes, Austin says the opposite and that's all that matters. She will give him nothing, he deserves nothing. She doesn't bother to text him back, choosing to simply ignore his words. His lawyer had sent her an email copy of the divorce papers and so she simply sends them on to her lawyer saying she won't give him anything except his things in the locked drawer. Then she puts her phone down, grabs the piece of watermelon that Austin had proudly cut into a heart shape, and takes a bite. "Fuck you, Jim," she whispers and then giggles to herself.

"Lemon drop."

Ophelia turns to see her parents decked out in their bigfoot hunting gear, their arms full of books and cameras. "We are meeting some friends to go hunting, we should be back by dinner, Aubery says it's at eight and that Austin is taking us all out to dinner that requires we wear shoes," her mother says. "Ok, mom. Have fun," she says with a smile. But neither of her parents move and they look at each other with a side-eye. They want to talk to her, she can tell. "You can say what's on your mind, I don't mind," Ophelia says. They quickly put their stuff down and sit on the sun chair next to hers. "Well, we wanted to say that you look so happy, like that girl you were before Jim came along. Your eyes shine and your cheeks are rosy. It's like you are that happy carefree kid again. We know divorce is not easy and we are sorry you got your heart broken, but we are glad Jim is gone. Oh, we worried so much. But Austin is amazing. We love him and we can see you love him too," her mom says.

"I adore him. He is amazing. I am not sad I am divorcing Jim...I was in the beginning but that was just because I thought I loved him...but I never did. I am happy, very happy," Ophelia says. Her mom bursts into tears and hugs her. "Well, Lemon drop, we have always been very proud of you...you have done well," he says. "Thank you for not judging him by his appearance. Most people do, they never give him a chance," Ophelia says. "Oh, we know all about that. People judge us all the time, we see the eye rolls and hear the whispers. But we know who we are and that's what matters. Austin is the same as us...you too," Opelias mom says. "Those that mind don't matter and those who matter, don't mind," her father says standing up and gathering his stuff. "Such a wise old man, Moonbeam," Ophelia's mother says. "Well, I married you didn't I, Sunshine? Come on," he says with a laugh as Ophelia's mother runs after him. She loves them, they make her feel warm and safe whenever they are around. She takes a dip in the pool then eats more watermelon and settles down, looking at the sky as her eyes grow heavy and she falls asleep.