Chapter 1: First Day of School

Start from the beginning

"So how's your summer?" EJ looked back at his friend.

"Uneventful." Cress's shoulders slumped a bit, "I've been avoiding my favorite arcade. Long story short, I may or may not have dated and broken up with some guy who works there. So I have to go to the other arcade across town instead."

"I'm sorry to hear that." Ten grimaced a little.

Cress always had the tendency to rush into relationships. She likes the thrill of harmless flings but often runs off the moment someone develops actual romantic feelings for her (and can't seem to take no for an answer). 

"My baby brother is starting school today so I had to show him the bus route there and I was nearly late. And also some skater jerks nearly crashed into me just now." She added, grumbling under her breath. Not exactly the most pleasant start of the day.

"Didn't you just hit four hundred subscribers for your Makeup Vlog account?" EJ reminded her, hoping to cheer her up.

"Yeah, that's good career-wise. So I guess it wasn't all that bad." Cress huffed her chest proudly at her accomplishments.

"Oh, and I met a guy lately." She suddenly beamed, "he's super funny and likes some of the things I do. And he's pretty cute too."

"Guess we'll have to wait to meet him then. Need me to put up the protective brother image to intimidate him?" EJ jokes.

"I have plenty of siblings already, E. You're more of a tall little brother." Cress grimaced at EJ's 'brotherly protectiveness'. "I appreciate your concern, but I can take care of myself just fine. Plus, you'll like the guy."

"How's about you, Ten?" Cress asked.

"Cress, you just visited me last week. You gobbled up two servings of mango sticky rice." Ten pointed out. Cress occasionally cycles by Ten and EJ's neighborhood to meet up with them.

"I still can't believe EJ out of all people managed to get a date over the summer." Cress exclaimed in total disbelief, "Our Economic Jobless Cashewnut managed to have a sweet summer romance with that cute girl he had a crush on 2 years ago."

"Not my actual name," EJ interjected in a dry tone, "I am standing right here listening, you know."

Cress had been trying to guess what EJ is short for since they were 13, her former guesses were "Eggs Jelly". But after meeting both his parents, she was now convinced that his grandpa must have really loved the economy and business so much he named his own son Cash. And Cash also loved money so much, his wife's name is Penny.

"I've met his new girlfriend." Ten nodded, "Caswell introduced me to Nini last night when he video called her. She is sweet."

"And you guys didn't include me?" Cress gasped, pretended to be offended.

"Because you would have embarrassed me in front of my date." EJ answered. She has had a habit of snuffing out information from EJ's exes in the past. (It really doesn't help that her mom is one of the biggest gossip in the neighborhood)

Or trying to flirt with them to test their loyalty towards EJ. That was what made the girls' water polo captain Marisol Martinez realize she was way more attracted to girls than guys.

"Cress won't even need to embarrass you, Caswell." Ten placed a hand on EJ's shoulder.

"Aww thanks." EJ smiled, looking touched.

"You're embarrassing yourself just fine on your own." Ten finished his sentence, then he raised a fist to exchange fist bumps with Cress for that roast.

StarburstOn viuen les histories. Descobreix ara