Silence was the response I received and I didn’t delay for anything else. “Goodbye.” I pressed the ‘End’ button on my phone and ran my hands over my puffy face.

                “Cam, where’s Sam?” I heard my mom’s muffled sound from outside my door. My heart dropped at the sound of his name.

                “I,” I cleared my throat, “I don’t know.” I looked towards the now opening piece of wood as my mom walked in.

                “Are you okay?” She asked after seeing my face, “have you been crying?”

                Those words were all it took. My walls that had taken years to build up crumbled and fell apart all around me. The void that Sam had always found a way to fill was suddenly reopened. A gash across my heart that was tearing me apart. I sobbed and my mom walked over and wrapped her arms around me. “He—he broke—broke up with me,” I struggled to regain my breath before continuing, “Ty—Tyler did something horrible. H—he—convinced Sam—convinced him that I cheated and..” No more words could come out. My tears were flooding my eyes and cascading onto my mom and I.

                She ran her fingers through my hair and whispered “It’s okay” into my ear repeatedly. “Shh, sweetheart, it’s okay. You’re going to be okay.” Her fragile hands held onto my shaking shoulders and our grey eyes met and I noticed a gleam in them that I shared.

                I had finally caught my breath and was able to speak, “He said such horrible things. Such piles of,” I paused as I searched for the right word, “sh*t.”

                Suddenly, a vibration caused us both to jump as her phone rang. “Sam?” she spoke into it and my head shot up. I heard mumbling on the other line. “You need to come home.” More mumbling, “No, I think it would be best for you to—don’t,” she looked down at the now ended phone call.

                “What did he say?” I sniffled out.

                In response, I got silence. I knew that whenever she was either A. in deep thought or B. pissed off, that was what she did. I saw her jaw clench before replying. “Apparently, he thinks that he’s not coming home tonight and is staying with someone by the name of Josh.”

                I nodded slowly, taking it all in. So that’s how he is responding, running away from the so-called problem.  

                “I am sorry, Cam,” she continued, “I wish that I knew what to do, but this is just Sam..being an ass.” I snickered at the name my mom gave him.

                “Thank you, mom. I wish that I knew what to do as well, but this isn’t something that can be resolved in a night,” I told her as I rubbed my aching temples.

                “Maybe,” I barely heard her say.