11) "What's emotional blocking?"

~Saturday Morning on: Madison Avenue: Ricky, Gina, Red, and Nini's Neighborhood~

***************************************************************************

"Mom, Dad, I'm home. How was work?" Ricky said a bit too loudly after having slept over at his girlfriend's house. He was so tired from watching the game with his girlfriend and his friends that he didn't want to bother his parents at work to pick him up after school.

Instead of calling them, Ricky did his usual thing and just told Nini that he was tired and wanted Mama C's cookies. As usual, Nini's moms loved having Ricky over and even offered to drop him back home.

"Your mom went back to Chicago, Rick. How was Nini's and the game? Did her moms give you good food?" Ricky's dad asked as he sipped on his coffee in the kitchen.

"Oh, I was going to tell her about the good things that happened this week... the game was shit. We lost to West." Ricky's voice started to lower as he set his duffel bag and backpack down.

"She's meeting another client. You know how she is with travel and work. I wish sh could be here too. What good news do you want to share?" Ricky's dad said to him trying to ease the tension even though the Bowen house was full of tension.

"She goes to Chicago every month. Last month, she went to Chicago to meet her godmother. And the month before that she went to Chicago to meet her boss. What's so special about Chicago? Isn't it windy and cold there?" Ricky picked up a box of empty oatmeal packets from the counter as he sighed at the mess his small house became overnight.

Ricky had never sighed so much before. He was still hungry from the night before, even though Nini's moms fed him well with dinner and a dessert.

"Ricky...calm down. We need to talk about this. Sit down." Mike who was Ricky's dad looked at his son and set his coffee mug down on the table.

"What do you mean? Calm down? Every month, I have to lie to my girlfriend and tell her that I'm tired, or don't have a ride home because my parents are working overtime, or on a dinner date. Every month, mom goes to Chicago! Every month, I hear you two yell your heads off while I try to focus on homework, watching a TV show, or even planning a date with Nini. What is going on? I can't keep lying to Nini every month and going to sleep over at a friend's house because I can't stand the noise here." Ricky said loudly to his dad as he sat down at their small three chair kitchen table with no food in his hands.

Mike sighed and put his hand over top Ricky's while taking a sip of his coffee with the other hand. His heart was beating so fast and his hands were already sweating.

"Ricky, your mom and I are legally separating. We're getting a divorce because we just don't work together anymore, we can't sleep in the same bed, or agree on something as simple as who gets to pick you up from school and teach you how to drive. We fell out of love." Ricky's dad said slowly while he shut his eyes so that he made sure he wouldn't cry in front of his son.

"I gotta call Nini and thank her for letting me stay over. I need-" Ricky started to say as he let go of his dads hand and ran to his room.

Ricky's room wasn't big, it was just his bed, a dresser where he stuffed his hoodies and sweats, and a place for his guitar and keyboard.

"Hey, it's Nini talk to me me." Ricky pressed on his girlfriend's contact # as he slammed his body against his bedroom door to keep his dad away from it.

"Shit. She's getting blood work done today. I forgot." Ricky whispered to himself and let his tears flow down his eyes as he leaned against his bedroom door out of breath.