Author's Notes + Terms to Know

-This is my passion project :) if you don't like the medical content you don't have to read it. I've always just wanted to have a character like me to read about. This story is for anyone who's been chronically ill who feels like they aren't represented. Bcs I have other chronic illnesses that aren't diabetes.

-Slightly based off of my experience with type one diabetes minus the eating disorder stuff

-A rini au idea that's been in my notes since s1

-Mostly rini, and rina in the plot and conflict but I focus on a lot of the other characters too

-rina will be platonic, Seblos established, Natalie Bagley is in this of course 

-Slightly based on a one shot from my HSMTMTS sickfic book that people really liked.

-People said I should make that one shot in my sickfic book a real book in 2021 so here I am in 2023 after the rini break up writing a rini story.

-CW: needles, anxiety attacks, medical content, bullying, body self consciousness, eating disorders, sickness, and hospitals

-It's hard for me to find stories that I can relate to (diabetic characters, chronic illness), so what better thing to do than to create my own story. Some of the bullying and other body self consciousness stuff is personal to me not all of it.

-Gina is a sophomore, everyone else is a junior, and lastly E.J is a senior.

-I had fun with the texts and social media stuff

-Update schedule: One or two chapters a week.

-One of my fave ideas so give it a vote, comment, or share please.

-Nobody is who they seem to be in this trust me, the story will go on. You'll read each character's story too.

.

.

Terms to know before reading:

*I promise this sounds boring and confusing but it will help readers in the future so that I don't have to keep explaining things

-Type one diabetes:
A chronic condition in which the pancreas produces little or no insulin.It typically appears in adolescence.Symptoms include increased thirst, frequent urination, hunger, fatigue, and blurred vision.Treatment aims at maintaining normal blood sugar levels through regular monitoring, insulin therapy, diet, and exercise.

-Hyperglycemia is the technical term for high blood glucose (blood sugar). High blood glucose happens when the body has too little insulin or when the body can't use insulin properly.

The preferred—and quickest—method of treating hyperglycemia is to take rapid-acting insulin such as Humalog, Novolog, or Apidra. 5 If you have type 1 diabetes, you may be able to get a correction dose through your insulin pump, as well. Other treatments are: drinking plenty of water, exercising daily, and eating low carb foods.

-Hypoglycemia is a condition in which your blood sugar (glucose) level is lower than the standard range. Glucose is your body's main energy source. Hypoglycemia is often related to diabetes treatment.

-If you have hypoglycemia symptoms, do the following: Eat or drink 15 to 20 grams of fast-acting carbohydrates. These are sugary foods or drinks without protein or fat that are easily converted to sugar in the body. Try glucose tablets or gel, fruit juice, regular (not diet) soda, honey, or sugary candy.

-Blue: the diabetes awareness color

-Grey: Gray Color is rather negative values since it is a dull color. It symbolizes sadness, depression, confusion, loneliness and monotony.

-Butterflies: In its metamorphosis from the common, colorless caterpillar to the exquisite winged creature of delicate beauty, the butterfly has become a metaphor for transformation and hope; across cultures