Chapter 9

When Ansley finally started to come to, the first thing she noticed was the throbbing pain in her eyes. Attempting to open them caused the pain to explode through her head. Her arms were bound to something and she was unable to move. She could hear Derek calling her name.

"Ansley," She heard him, worry thick in his voice. "Ansley please wake up."

"I'm awake," she groaned, "I can't open my eyes."

"You looked directly into the flash," He tells her. "It will take a few days to heal."

"Where are we?"

He was silent for a moment. "I don't know."

She tried to open her eyes again, the pain not as bad this time but all she could see was white. "I can't see," she said frantically. She looked towards where she heard Derek's voice but the white that covered her vision held strong. "Everything is white. I can't see."

"It's from the flash," He told her softly trying to get her to calm down. "There's nothing to worry about as long as you start to get your vision back within the next couple days."

"What is that sound?" She asked as she finally noticed the buzzing coming from where Derek was.

"Electric," He muttered. "Don't worry about it."

The sound of metal caught her attention before she heard what sounded like a door opening. Footsteps followed as someone entered the room. The buzzing sound started to fade away.

"What is he?" She heard a female voice that she recognized but couldn't quite place.

"I think you already know the answer to that," Another female voice that sent chills down her spine. There was silence before the woman spoke up again. "Sure you do. Maybe you don't want to say it because it gets a little too real when you hear it out loud? Shapeshifter. Lycan. Werewolf. Whatever. To me he's just another dumb animal."

"What are you doing to him? Is that going to kill him?" The other girl asked.

"Oh, kiddo, don't get all ethical on me. The electric charge just keeps him friendly." More footsteps followed. "See these? Canines. Also known as fangs. Made for the rending and tearing of flesh. Not something you find on cute, leaf eating herbivores." There was a small moment of silence before she started talking again. "You know, there was an ancient breed of grey wolves whose teeth could crush bone? How hot is that?"

"This is a joke to you?" The other girl said, clearly not liking what she saw.

"Sweetheart, werewolves are running around the world. Everything's a joke to me. How else do you think I stay sane?"

"What about her, she doesn't seem to be harming anyone? Why is she here?"

The footsteps now came closer to Ansley, she stiffed in the chair as she sensed one of the women close to her. "She is a mystery that I am going to solve. No fangs or shifting when exposed to electricity, yet wolfsbane works. And her eyes are not just one color," She trailed off as Ansley stared into the direction of the woman. "Even now they're not a normal color."

Soon the two left the room, the door being locked behind them. Ansley looked in the direction that Derek was in. "What did she mean that my eyes aren't a normal color right now?" She asked, but after a moment Derek had still not responded. "Derek! What color are my eyes?"

"They're white," he finally told her.

"Is that why I cannot see?" There was silence once again but something told her that Derek didn't know the answer to that question.