Chapter 5

Ansley and Derek spent Sunday catching up on the things that they had missed over the last six years. That night they didn't even attempt to sleep in separate rooms, they slept in Derek's since it had the larger bed. They had no trouble falling asleep this time. The next afternoon after Ansley had returned, Scott showed up, yelling for Derek to come out.

"Stay here," he told her softly, kissing her neck before climbing out of bed and putting a shirt on. She sat up in the bed as he walked out of the room to see what Scott wanted.

"I need your help," she heard Scott say to Derek. After a moment of silence he spoke again. "Okay, I know I was part of you getting arrested... and that we basically announced you being here to the Hunters... I also don't know what happened to your sister..."

"You got your sister arrested too," he snapped at him.

Scott flinched, knowing it was why Ansley hadn't been answering any of his texts. "But, I think I did something last night. I had a dream about... Someone... but someone else got hurt. And, it turns out that part of the dream might have actually happened..."

"You think you attacked the driver?" Derek asked him.

"Did you see what I did last night?"

"No," Derek told him.

"Can you at least tell me the truth? Am I gonna hurt someone?"

"Yes."

"Could I kill someone?"

"Yes."

"Am I going to kill someone?"

"Probably." Derek watched Scott for a moment before he spoke again. "Look, I can show you how to remember. I can show you how to control the shift, even on a full moon. But it's not gonna come for free."

"What do you want?" Scott asked him.

"You'll find out...But, for now, I'm gonna give you what you want," Derek said as he noticed Scott staring into the house. He knew that he would be able to smell Ansley. "Go back to the bus. Go inside. See it. Feel it. Let your senses-- your sight, smell, touch-- let them remember for you."

"That's it? Just... just go back?"

"Do you want to know what happened?" Derek questioned him.

"I just want to know if I hurt him."

"No, you don't, you want to know if you'll hurt her," Derek pointed out.

Scott looked down but his head snapped up when he heard movement from the house. "Is she alright?"

"She's mad at you," he told the boy. "She's trying to avoid getting angry until she can keep control, which she is really struggling with. She doesn't want to hurt you so please, give her time until she feels like she's in control."

Scott nodded to him, starting to understand why she went to him. He turned and took off into the woods to do whatever it was he needed to do.

Ansley walked out of the bedroom as Derek was walking back into the house. "We do need to work on that," she told him.

"I know," he told her as he wrapped his arms around her waist. "You need to find your anchor."

"What if the alpha starts trying to get me to kill instead of Scott? I can't control it so I would be an easier target," she rested her head against his chest, closing her eyes.

Derek didn't want to tell her but he had already started to deal with stopping her from going. The night before, she had woken up shifted, trying to get away from Derek. He wouldn't let go of her, knowing what was happening. "I won't let you," he told her.