seventy four

The Imperial troops and commander that you and Luke surrendered to were very skeptical. Everyone knew who you were, at least that you were a Jedi General, and knew that you could easily take out a majority of those stationed at the Imperial platform. You and Luke were led onto one of the lower levels the platform, bound at the wrists. You watched as Darth Vader exited the elevator and met you.

"These are the Rebels that surrendered to us," the commander told Vader. "Although they both deny it, I believe there may be more of them, and I request permission to conduct a further search of the area." The commander extended his hands, revealing Luke's lightsaber as well as yours and Obi-Wan's. "They were armed only with these."

"Good work, Commander," Vader said as he took the lightsabers. He snapped yours and Obi-Wan's onto his belt while keeping Luke's in his hand. "Leave us. Conduct your search and bring their companions to me."

"Yes, my Lord."

The commander and his troops withdraw. Vader, Luke, and yourself are left standing on the walkway. After a moment, Vader begins walking back toward the elevator, with you and Luke following.

"The Emperor has been expecting you," Vader said to Luke.

"I know, father," Luke responded.

"So, you have accepted the truth."

"I've accepted the truth that you were once Anakin Skywalker, my father."

Vader sharply turn to face Luke. "That name no longer has any meaning for me."

"It is the name of your true self. You've only forgotten. I know there is good in you. The Emperor hasn't driven it from you fully. That is why you couldn't destroy me. That's why you won't bring me to your Emperor now."

You watch as Vader looks down at the lightsaber in his black-gloved hand, seeming to ponder Luke's words.

"I see you have constructed a new lightsaber," Vader stated. Igniting it, Vader studies the brilliant green blade. "Your skills are complete. Indeed, you are powerful, as the Emperor has foreseen." He turned off the lightsaber.

"Come with me," Luke pled, trying to get to his father.

"Obi-Wan once thought as you do. You don't know the power of the dark side. I must obey my Master."

Your heart broke, hating to see Anakin as a slave once again. You could feel the mixture of emotions swirling within your brother. Something was getting to him and you were hoping that Luke's words were helping.

"I will not turn," Luke said, "and you'll be forced to kill me."

"If that is your destiny," Vader responded.

"Search your feelings, father. You can't do this. I feel the conflict within you. Let go of your hate."

"It is too late for me, son. The Emperor will show you the true nature of the Force. He is your Master now." Vader signaled for some distant stormtroopers to come over.

"Then my father is truly dead."

Vader ignored Luke's comment and turn to the troopers. "Take young Skywalker up to my ship," he ordered. "General L/N and I will join you in a moment."

Vader's helmeted eyes met yours. The two of you stared at each other as everyone else left the platform walkway.

"Ani," you breathed out, "I know you're in there."

"That name means nothing to me!" Vader turned dramatically to face the forest. "I should have killed you already."

"Yes, but you haven't. You've had so many chances to kill me in the last twenty years and you haven't. I have to believe that that my brother is still in there, that is how I've survived you so many times."