FORTY

After climbing out of the ship, you, Obi-Wan, Anakin, and the Chancellor were immediately transported to the Senate office building. Various Senators and droids were awaiting the Chancellor's safe return at one of the entrances. The Chancellor exited the transport first, then R2 and Anakin. You and Obi-Wan stayed in the doorway of the transport. Anakin turned back when he noticed you two were not following.

"Are you coming, Master? Y/N?" He asked.

"Oh, no," Obi-Wan responded. "I'm not brave enough for politics. Y/N and I have to report to the Council. Besides, someone needs to be the poster boy."

"Hold on. This whole operation was your idea."

"Let us not forget, Anakin, that you and Y/N rescued me from the buzz droids. And you killed Count Dooku and you rescued the Chancellor carrying me unconscious on your back."

"All because of your training."

"Anakin, let's be fair. Today you were the hero and you deserve your glorious day with the politicians."

"Alright. But you owe me one, and not for saving your skin for the tenth time."

"Ninth time. That business on Cato Neimoidia doesn't—doesn't count. We'll see you at the briefing."

"Have fun," you told Anakin as you and Obi-Wan went back to sit down in the transport.

You sat down on the bench and leaned your head back. Closing your eyes, you tried to filter through everything that had happened on the mission. The darkness continually around the Chancellor. Anakin killing Count Dooku at the bidding of the Chancellor.

"What's troubling you, little star?" Obi-Wan wondered. One of his hands slipped into yours, bringing it up to kiss the back of it.

You sighed, turning your head toward Obi-Wan and opening your eyes. "If I tell you, will you promise to listen?"

"Of course." Obi-Wan's eyebrows pinched together in concern as he moved closer to you, making sure you knew in his body language that he was there to listen. "What is it?"

"For a while now, I have felt a darkness around Chancellor Palpatine. With each interaction I have with him, I feel the darkness grow."

"Why haven't you said anything?"

"You know why... it's treason, Obi-Wan. What I am the most concerned about is that the Council has yet to feel it."

Obi-Wan sighed. "They have felt it, though only recently. I do wish you would have told me about this sooner, or at least told the whole Council."

"Cause they would have believed me? I'm not exactly their favorite anymore." Obi-Wan kept quiet, knowing that you were right. "That's not all... when you were unconscious and a was pinned, I saw Anakin kill Dooku... he... The Chancellor told him to do it. Anakin clearly was conflicted but did it anyway. There was a guilt in him afterward. He tried to admit that to the Chancellor but the Chancellor tried to brush it off as revenge... like revenge was okay."

"That is not what Anakin or the Chancellor said about what happened. Why didn't you speak up when they were recounting what happened?"

"Because I was scared... the Chancellor has a hold of Anakin somehow and it is not good."

Obi-Wan knew that you were serious. He could feel it in your bond and by the look in your eye. He squeezed your hand gently, rubbing the back of it with his thumb.

"I believe you and trust in your instincts, little star," he said softly. "I will bring this up to the Council. You need to be prepared to be called in. They will want to talk with you."