sixty three

You stayed out in the forest once R2 and Luke left you, but you had moved closer so that you could watch everyone load the fighters. You were feeling lost and confused as you stood there. The wisp of darkness swirled inside of you. You could sense it and how much it wanted to take root in you. But you refused to let it, though you also weren't doing anything to get rid of it.

"You're not gearing up to fight?" Han questioned as he came toward you from the side.

You barely spared him a glance before focusing back on the scene in front of you. "It is no longer my fight," you responded.

Han scoffed. "It's not my fight, but it's sure as hell yours." You didn't give him a response. He sighed. You could feel the tug-of-war inside of him. "I, uh, I'm sorry about the old man."

"That old man was my husband, and he was the best of us."

Han nodded. "I bet." He glanced over at his ship, clearly thinking over something. "Chewie and I are getting ready to head out. You could come if you'd like."

You looked over at the Millennium Falcon. This could be your chance, to run away and never look back. It would be great, an actual fresh start. But you had made a promise to protect and watch over Luke and Leia.

"I can't," you said, looking away from the ship. "I made a promise. I have to protect Leia and Luke... I'm all they have left."

Han was curious as to what you meant but didn't push it. "Well, then, see you around kid."

You rose an unimpressed eyebrow at him. "You know I'm older than you, right?"

He shrugged. "Does it matter?" He started walking backward, still keeping his eyes on you. "May the Force be with you, Y/N."

You gave him a nod of goodbye before Han turned away and walked to his ship. Sighing, you looked back at the other ships in the hangar. Pilots and other crew members were rushing around, trying to prepare everything as fast as they could. Something inside of you began to pressure you into joining them. You hadn't piloted anything in years, though you were sure it would be easy for you to pick up again. After seeing R2 and Luke load up, you went up to Leia.

"Do you have a free ship?" You asked.

Leia was surprised by your request. She figured that you were staying clear of the fight, as you had tried to stay clear of everyone since arriving at the base.

"Uh, yes," she responded. She pointed to one of the X-Wings across the hangar. "That one is free. What are you planning on doing?"

"Don't know." You headed toward it. "Call it, following my intuition."

Leia sighed and muttered to herself, "that's the Force, Auntie. The Force."

She watched as you got geared up, worried about you. You had changed in the ten years since she had last seen you, and it wasn't necessarily for the better. It definitely didn't help that you lost Obi-Wan today. A faint smile graced Leia's lips as she remembered your and Obi-Wan's wedding on the balcony on Alderaan. The smile quickly fell when she remembered that her home was no longer. She looked back at you and felt a strong impression: you were the Galaxy's only hope and, right now, you were walking a fine line between the Light and Dark Sides. If you chose the Dark over the Light, the rebellion would be over and the Galaxy would be doomed forever.

Sighing, Leia met your eye. She shot you a small smile, which was reciprocated as you slipped a helmet on. You gave her a small salute, causing Leia to laugh lightly and do the same. She watched as you climbed into the fighter and checked the systems. Leia had never wished to have a stronger connection with the Force in her life thus far. But she had faith in you and that you wouldn't let her down.