"i'm fine. just um...i'm very naked right now."

Start from the beginning

he's pulled into a hug as soon as he finishes his sentence.

he's crying as soon as arms wrap around him.

sirius holds him as his tears fall, shushing him gently when he hiccups. he lets him cry into his shoulder, comforting him like he has so many times before.

"i'm still mad at you," he says softly, still holding him tightly.

"i know," james murmurs, voice cracking, "i'm mad at me too."

~

~

the next few days continue on normally.

james goes out and fights crime in the city. well, if you can consider helping a little boy being bullied fighting crime.

he swings through the streets, trying to find anything to keep his mind off of regulus.

sometimes it works, and other times james ends up finding him subconsciously.

he'll catch a glimpse of regulus walking down the street, going to meet his friends. he watches him as he sits and laughs with pandora at cafe's and outside stores and watches as evan and barty bicker and keep making them laugh and never lets himself go down and talk to him.

he just- observes. watches. loves.

regulus looks for him sometimes, too. way up on the buildings. he looks like he doesn't even mean to.

it doesn't stop james' heart from stuttering, though.

he goes to different parts of new york and only feels a little guilty at the excitement he gets when he finds someone who needs help.

he checks on regulus every single day.

and he never lets him see him.

~

~

"james? love, can i come in?"

james shoots up, panic crawling through him when he realizes he fell asleep in his suit. it's covered in dirt, but that's not his biggest issue right now.

his mom trying to get into his room is.

"um- no!"

"jamie, the final starts at 9:00. and you said you would take my car into the shop remember? because it keeps stopping?"

james frantically pulls off his suit, throwing it in the direction of his closet and hoping it's hidden well enough. he scrambles to get under the covers.

"one second mom!"

the door opens just as james gets the blanket over him.

"you said you were gonna take my car into the shop because-," his mom stops, taking in his dirty face, "are you okay?"

"i'm fine. just um... i'm very naked right now."

"what happened to your face? it's filthy,"

"it is?"

"yes,"

"oh yeah. i was cleaning the- the chimney,"

"...we have no chimney."

james stares.

his mom stares.

"you're late," his mom says sharply, shaking her head, "get up. hurry now, love."

"right. got it. i'll be down in just a second,"

"now, jamie-,"

"i need to get dressed, mom!"