"you don't know my name?"

~

~

~

~

james moves out of the way just in time to avoid being hit in the head by a basketball.

he hears laughing down the hall and scoffs, grabbing his camera out of his locker before slamming it and glancing towards the noise, making eye contact with severus snape. he smirks, and james gives a sarcastic smile and salute before turning on his heel and heading for the doors to go outside.

asshole, he thinks, glaring at nothing in particular while he pushes the door with a little more force than necessary.

he stops in his tracks as soon as he sees whose occupying the nearest bench, and can physically feel his face soften at the sight of regulus black, peacefully reading a book.

he stares for a few moments before realizing he definitely looks like an idiot, shifting his gaze down to the camera in his hands.

he looks at regulus again, making sure he's fully absorbed in his book before lifting the camera and quickly taking a picture.

he brings it back down and has all of 2 seconds to smile at it before his best friend is bounding over and plucking the camera out of his hands.

"what's got you smiling all bright, prongs? you look like your-," sirius cuts himself off, excited smile being replaced with a disgusted expression as he sees his own brother on the screen.

"sirius-,"

"ugh, james! this is borderline obsession," sirius interrupts, shoving the camera back into james' arms and looking over to where regulus is with crossed arms.

"i am not obsessed with him," james protests, eyes straying over to regulus helplessly, "he's just... pretty."

"'oh regulus, you're the most beautiful person on the planet and i want to marry you and have kids'-" james claps a hand over sirius' mouth, muffling his mocking and dragging him away before regulus hears. as he's going, he looks back one last time and his heart stutters as his eyes meet silver ones.

he thinks he sees a hint of a smile before he turns away, sirius still trapped in his arms as james guides them both back inside the school, his cheeks warm.

~

~

"what's your name?"

it's last period, and james snaps his head to the side, surprised to see regulus looking at him expectantly.

"me?"

"yes, you," regulus rolls his eyes, leaning his head onto his hand as he waits.

"you don't know my name?" james responds after a moment, his palms sweating.

"no, i know your name. i just want to see if you know your name," regulus answers, a glint in his eyes.

"james," he replies, and when regulus just raises an eyebrow, he adds, "james potter."

"right," regulus nods, glint still in his eyes as he moves his gaze to the front of the room. james is quiet for a second before he's stupidly blurting out, "you're regulus right?"

"yes. regulus black," he confirms, like james hasn't known that for the past 3 years.

he sort of feels like he's dying.