chapter tweleve

"I spent a lot of time in the water, we all do. From a young age till you're considered an adult, and even then."

"Considered an adult?"

"Young members need to complete a number of rituals before they can be considered adults." You lifted your head from your knees, wrapping your arms around your legs while you turned to look at Neteyam. "It is called iknimaya."

He turned from looking at you, to the sand— humming to your response. It was just like the Omatikaya clan's teenagers, who also must complete iknimaya, a rite of passage. "We too must complete iknimaya."

"Have you already?" You questioned him, now you were intrigued.

"Yes, I succeeded on my first try." He told you, which you weren't too surprised by since he seemed like a strong individual with a good sense of maturity.

"Ah, good." You simply replied, he seemed to have been wanting a bigger reaction, and it wasn't because he wanted to deem himself incredible, but because he wanted to show off to you. It was subtle but it was still there, like that time with his arm. Which you still can't forget about.

You leaned in, whispering to him. "My savior..how did you ever manage to complete your iknimaya on your first try?"

Neteyam shook his head at you, his tail pinning straight up and his heart beating a little faster than before. "Whatever."

You giggled to this, pulling yourself away and sitting up straight again. "I'm just messing with you."
Returning your gaze at the water up ahead, he scoots closer to you once again. You looked down to his hand that was right by you. You moving yours hand to it, comparing the two. "Four."

"Yeah, four." Between his siblings, he and Tuk are the only ones with four fingers. Lo'ak and Kiri have five. Which you thought was rather interesting. "Lo'ak and Kiri..have five. But what is the extra finger for? I don't understand."

"You don't understand because you are not used to it, humans wonder why we only have four, it's kind of funny how that works,"

The both of you scooting your hands closer. Till they were half way stacked on top of each other.
He took the lead in grabbing your hand, intertwining your fingers together. Your ears fluttered, his doing the same.

The two of you locking eyes for a moment, keeping your hands together. You cleared your throat, looking to the water.

"The water has always been apart of me, of my people. And the tulkun are apart of us as well. They are our spirit brothers and sisters."

Neteyam continued to listen, he was more than interested.
"I had never though about another home, not like my own. I can't imagine how you and your family must feel right now." Your eyes trailed to Neteyam's legs, that were now laid out comfortably. Your thumb gently rubbing the top of his hand soothingly. He took a breath in, then out. Just humming to what you said. "The water is welcoming you, even if my people aren't, they will learn though." You reassured him, keeping your eyes on his legs, your eyes blinking slowly. You didn't get much sleep the night before.

"I now want to see your home, I want to see the trees. Just how tall they really are."

"I'll take you, if I can ever go home again, I will take you with me."

As you lifted your head up, you looked right at him, he was smiling proudly. "Will you bring me back?"

"Maybe."

"You can't just take me Neteyam."

"I think I already did," His hand lifting still intertwined with yours, he gave off a teasing grin, which you promptly reacted to.

"What?"

"What?" He repeated, you just blinked at him. You looked down, trying to piece together whatever he meant. Deep down you knew the answer but you pushed it even deeper in hopes you didn't get too excited and got the wrong idea.

You rolled your eyes as you lifted your head, going back to your original position, you were slowly getting more tired as the time went on. The cool shade and the warmth of his hand was enough to feel sleepy. You did something out of character, resting your head on his shoulder.

He pulled his hand out of from yours, which you frowned to till he pulled it behind you, hesitantly wrapping it around your torso, holding onto your waist firmly yet gently.
"Is this okay?" He asked.
Your eyes fluttered immensely to this, your tail flicking around at its end. Your entire being heating up, Neteyam would squeeze lightly at every breath you'd take, the two of you sat in silence for some time.

"It is okay." You quietly responded.
You felt the butterflies in your stomach overloading you. He never wanted to be the reason you felt uncomfortable. Surprisingly, you didn't feel awkward in the moment like you would've felt if it had been another.

"I still don't know what you mean Neteyam, what do you mean you already did?"

"Y/N, don't worry about it." He squeezed your hip once again, his tail curling around and resting on his side. Even though you couldn't see it, he kept his sharp teasing smile. Happily holding you against his side, the two of you leaning back against the cold rock.

His arm fully snaked around your waist, his hand rested on your thigh. He wasn't holding it or anything, just resting it on top. You knew that if Ao'nung or your father saw you two like this you'd be scolded. But at the same time, no one was around to be able to see any of this. So you'd let it happen and in the mean time, you had time to think.

It hadn't been too long since meeting Neteyam. And you weren't 100% about your feelings towards him. The touchiness you two engaged in was confusing, because he was your friend. But so was Lo'ak and Kiri, and other members in your clan. Yet you never rested by their side like this.
Your hands rested on your lap as well, your head laid against his shoulder. You wanted to stay like this for longer, you were tired and it was comfortable, especially with him.
He turned his hand over, lightly holding onto your thigh. Your eyes closed, you wanted to catch up on some sleep, but you didn't fall asleep.

"I want to take you somewhere, show you a place, Neteyam. You and your siblings too."

"Where?"

"I'll show you soon. It is a grand place, you will enjoy it, I think."