chapter 26

Sienna Galeon

Sam is being basically dragged into the mansions entrance by two twins. "Was it nessassary to have two grown ass men to shove her out the SUV?" I fume.

My fiance ignores me. Wheeling up the ramp as I follow behind.

"What's going to happen to her? Nicolai! What will you do--"

He whirls around so fast that I take a step back, the sneer he gives me cuts my air way, "It doesn't take a genius to know that you broke a sacred code of loyalty. And the fact that you put this girl in harms way! Do you have no shame?" He spits out.

I do dammit. "Please, please Nico...don't--don't hurt her." I whisper in agony to my actions.

He inhales then exhales in frustration,  "why?"

I give him a questionable look.

"Were you...trying to escape?" He whispers the last bit.

I could hear a hint of hurt in his tone. But I think through on what to say next. I couldn't tell him the truth, no, not when I don't know what the outcomes may end for me with the man I fell hard for. "Yes." I lie.

Something sharp and lethal crosses his features, "you lie to me?"

Damn, I need to make him believe me, "I change my mind. I don't want to marry you. You...you are a monster who kills in cold blood. The fact that you are in a wheelchair and won't be able to walk isn't a man I want. You are half of a man, crippled and useless--"

At the last word his eyes darken and  knuckles whiten on the grips he has on his chair rests.

Each word I said tasted like ash and something awful. Because none of what I said was true but I had to make him believe every word. To hurt him and ask a request, "I think we should cancel the marriage."

His eyes flash, "no."

No? "This is a mistake. I don't want to marry you." I keep my face neutral. But my heart breaks, "this won't work. Your revenge will not work with us both marrying." I half tell the truth.

Nico stares at me with silence, hooking me in his blue eyes with a moment of pure tension, "you have no say in this. We are going to marry. That's final."

Stubborn ass. Yet my heart beats a little to his words, "if we marry....promise me one thing."

"As if I'd promise you anything right now for what you did today. You lost what little trust I had for you." He vehemently says.

I ignore the sting, "promise if I marry you..you wouldn't hurt me?"

Disbelief crosses his face to my words, "hurt you?"

"Kill me." I rephrase.

He looks away from me and off to the gardens across the lawn and towards the bridge. A deep frown plasters his lips, "I am not my father, Sienna. I would never touch my wife and hurt her in such ways."

Before I could open my mouth and ask a question he turns on his wheels and leaves me behind at the front door.

"What are you going to do with Samantha!?" I call out.

"She is none of your concern right now." He calls back going into the elevator.

After hours of waiting in the room Dimitri comes in with a knock, peeking his head in, "you are requested down the basement."

Having no words I get up off the bed and follow him down the hallway and to the stairs. He too seems to have nothing to say to me at the moment.

That's until he leads me to an unfamiliar area of the place.  A door that is opened and wooden stairs lead down to another door. One light bulb hung by a chain from the ceiling swings softly and creaks.