"Thank you." || Rick & Morty Fluff

3rd person POV
Rick steps out of the newly created portal in his garage, panting from the shitty adventure him and morty just went through. Morty walking sluggishly behind him. Rick places his portal gun on his desk and turns to Morty in a fit of rage.

"Lo-Look Rick, I didn't mean for that to- that to happen!!" Morty slightly yells at the fuming Rick in front of him.

"Well, MOOrty! If you- If you didn't fUUck up every single fUUcking time, then maybe I'd actually fucking love you, you-you sack of shit Morty!" Rick replies.

"You-you know damn well you never loved me! Let alone care for me! That all you- all you ever talk about is not caring! I fucking get it Rick! Nobody- N- Nobody cares about it anymore Rick!" Morty screams, on the brink of tears.

They stand in silence for a few seconds. Rick takes his silver flask and takes a swig of whatever mysterious alcohol substance he has in there. He has a sense of guilt in his eyes, which is not particularly something he feels but it's visible if you look hard enough. Morty notices this and softens his look towards Rick. They stare at each other for a few more seconds until the silence is broken.

"So-sorry Rick. I'll just get out of your hair for a while since you're visibly upset." Morty says in a monotone voice.

Rick watches Morty drag his feet out of the garage door and into the living room. Disappearing behind a closed door.

Morty's POV
I slowly walk up the stairs to my messy room, filled with posters of women with big chests and ass, body pillows, and other various items. I close and lock the door behind me.

'I wonder why he looked so guilty. It's almost like I hurt him in some way.' I thought to myself as I sat on my bed.

I lay down, trapped in my own thoughts. Thinking about the actual good times we had between us or my family. Mom and Dad sometimes got along, but fighting wasn't a stranger in this fucking house.

I hug one of my body pillows as I lay there in complete silence. Drowning in my thoughts as I quietly cry into the soft fabric.

3rd person POV

In all actuality, Morty suffered from depression. After the assault he went through with King Jellybean, all the trauma his body has been through throughout the years of him and Rick's adventures, it got to him after a while. He never expressed it often, it wasn't quite noticeable that he had any issues because he never expressed it.

Rick, on the other hand, knew about Morty's depression. He didn't know how to act towards Morty since all he ever showed him was disrespect. He was scared to lose Morty but he would never EVER express that, especially with how he treats everybody. Rick constantly monitors Morty without him knowing to make sure he's okay. Sooner or later that'll come back to bite him in the ass but he feels he needs to, just in case.

Rick's POV

I pace through my garage, trying to think of how to apologize to Morty. It's not every day I say sorry to this kid, I never say sorry to anyone. I have this horrid feeling in my chest almost every time he storms out or yells at me in anger or sadness. He's depressed and he needs someone to be there for him but how do I do that. I need to ask someone, someone I trust and know would help me.

I think about it for a second and list the names of the closest people I know.

Beth? Maybe not, too embarrassing.
Jerry? FUCK NO.
Summer? She's good with teenage emotions, she probably knows about this stuff way more than me.

I walk into the living room, scanning the area. I see Summer in the kitchen just standing there. She's on her phone as per usual.

"He-Hey SuUUmmer!" I say in a oddly upbeat tone.

"Oh, Hey Grandpa Rick." Summer says with her face still buried in her phone.

"Can I-I possibly talk to you about Morty real quick?" I say nervously. Why the fuck am I nervous? I'm the smartest man in the universe I shouldn't have fucking nerves!!

"Like, right now?" She asks.

"Yes, right nOOw" I say, rolling my eyes.

"Ohhkay.. What do you want?" She looks at me, with her right eyebrow raised.

"L-Look Summer," I start ranting unknowingly, "I fucked up, I know I keep fucking up with Morty and I feel weird inside almost like a pain that's not really there and I wanna know how to apologize to Morty without sounding fucking weak and honestly I never thought I'd actually ask someone this and-" I'm cut off by a shocked Summer.

"Whoa Whoa Whoa, hold your horses Rick." She says, "I know where you're coming from. Just, like, apologize from your heart or whatever. Don't half ass it either, just.. apologize."

"Tha-Thanks Summer" I say and walk off towards the stairs.

3rd person POV

Rick tries to open Morty's door, but of course, it's locked.

"Go away, Rick" a muffled voice said.

"Let me in Morty, I don't wanna have to break your door down." Rick says, slightly annoyed.

The door opens and Rick is welcomed in by a half-asleep 14 year old with red, puffy eyes.

"Have-Have you been crying, Morty?" Rick questions.

"No, I just put food coloring in my eyes." Morty answers sarcastically.

"Jeez, I was just asking.." Rick said a little hurt, which confused him.

"What do you want Rick?" Morty asks, wiping his eyes.

"Look, Morty. I wanted to- I wanted to apologize for yelling at you. I-" Rick stops for a moment, deep in thought as Morty's eyes widen at his apology. "I do care about you, okay?"

Morty looks at him with glassy eyes. Tears start flowing down his cheeks. He doesn't make a sound but just stares at Rick in awe at what he just said.

"What?! Why are you crying?! Did I- Did I say something wrong?" Rick blurts out.

Morty just walks towards him and wraps his arms around him. Rick is baffled by this and just stands there for a moment. He hesitantly wraps his arms around the boy and pats his head in an attempt to comfort him. He picks the sobbing boy up and sits on his bed. They cuddle for a minute as Morty is still sobbing into his off-white lab coat.

"It's-It's alright Kiddo, you're gonna be alright." He rubs Morty's back.

Morty felt relaxed for the first time in forever.

A couple minutes pass. Morty is out cold, he fell asleep in Rick's arms. Rick smiled as he tried putting him down. Morty wakes up at the movement, he never was a deep sleeper.

"Ri-Rick?" Morty says groggily.

"What-Whats up kid?" Rick answers.

"Thank you."

A/N:
I hope you enjoyed!! :) I will write more as soon as I get more ideas or I get requests.
🫶