27

Melanie

I stared out of the living room window, watching the naked trees dance freely. I wasn't sure how long I had been sat here, but my previously went hair had now dried. Two weeks had passed already, it was now the eight of March; more specifically, my birthday. I was officially nineteen-years-old; I didn't feel any different.

My mind wandered to my mother, knowing it was her birthday in two days; the tenth of March. We always celebrated together, whether we went out for dinner, or ordered pizza and rewatched old episodes of Call the Midwife; it was our idea of a good time. I was never a party girl, instead I always preferred the comfort of my own home; with my duvet and Netflix.

A loud bang made me flinch, causing me to look away from the trees outside. I turned my head and looked towards the kitchen, seeing Harry's back; he was fiddling with something on the dining table.

"Are you okay?" I asked, loud enough for him to hear.

He turned to look at me over his shoulder and gave me a wide smile, nodding and letting out a small laugh. He turned his attention back to whatever it was, he was doing. I let out a quiet sigh and grabbed the thin blanket from the other side of the sofa, wrapping myself in it and resting my head against the cushions; closing my eyes softly.

"Happy Birthday to you," Harry began to sing, his voice getting closer. "Happy Birthday to you..."

I opened my right eye and watched him walking towards me, with a birthday cake in his hands. He held a huge grin on his face as he continued to sing the traditional birthday tune. For the last couple of weeks, Harry hasn't shown me his nasty side once. He has been.. Perfect. He didn't look like a criminal, especially in this moment now.

"Happy Birthday to you!" He finished the song, now crouched down in front of me; with a badly decorated cake, holding exactly nineteen glowing candles.

"You know my birthday?" I asked, letting out a chuckle.

"Your driving licence." He replied softly, his dimples more prominent than ever.

I sat up straight and leant forward, the blanket still around my shoulders. Harry was eye-level with me, the cake being a divider for us. I looked down at it and breathed out a laugh, inspecting the writing and decorations.

"Dinosaurs, huh?" I asked, poking one of the dry marzipan characters.

"It was all I had in the cupboard, from my nephew's birthday a few years ago." He laughed, looking down at them. "I wouldn't recommend eating one, they're probably expired." He added.

I laughed and flicked my eyes up to his face, he looked so proud of himself; almost like a child. With a deep breath, I began to blow out the candles; having to blow a few times to put out the small flames.

"Did you make a wish?" He asked, flapping his hand about to get rid of the smoke.

He placed the cake on the coffee table and shuffled towards me, resting on his knees in front of me as he wrapped his arms around my waist. I nodded and forced a smile, swallowing the lump in my throat.

"What was it?" He whispered, offered me a cheeky grin.

"I can't tell you, it won't come true otherwise!" I jokingly said, reminiscing about when my mother would freak out if I began to tell her my birthday wish.