EIGHT

mosley lane

mosley lane

"AIMEE LYNCH, EIGHT YEARS OLD," JJ holds the portrait of the young girl up, looking over the few gathered in the conference room. "Was taken an hour ago from a winter festival in Ashburn."

Emily grabs the picture as she sets it down, brows furrowed. "Any witnesses?"

"Her mom Barbara was right next to her when she vanished."

"There must have been hundreds of people there," Emily shakes her head confusedly. "No one saw anything?"

JJ shrugs.

"It's a temporary gathering with little to no security," Spencer says.

"Alright, Reid, you and I are gonna head to the family's house," Morgan says, earning a nod from the doctor. "You three need to work with Garcia. We need to look at every local abduction or attempted one in the past year, see if there's any overlap."

Jane, Emily, and JJ all nod. "Good news is that we're barely into the second hour,"

"Yeah, well, odds are we've only got 22 hours left to find Aimee alive so let's do this," Morgan turns to leave, gesturing for Spencer to follow, leaving the three women behind.

JJ turns to look at them, face shrouded in a dark cloud of gloom. She always had a tough time when their cases involved children, and Jane could understand. Even as someone who didn't have kids, the idea of a child being anywhere near the sort of things they dealt with was nauseating. She couldn't imagine what it was like when you had your own child to imagine in that situation.

"I'm going to call some media outlets and make sure they're getting her picture plastered everywhere. The best thing we can do right now is make sure that whoever took her knows we're coming."

She walks off, leaving Emily and Jane, and the older woman turns to look at Jane knowingly. "This is your first abduction case, yeah?"

Jane looks away from the photo of Aimee Lynch, nodding.

Emily hums sympathetically. "They're high stakes. The adrenaline never really stops," She shakes her head, as if recalling a memory. "But once it does, you'll really feel it."

"Great," Jane smiled wryly. "I can't wait."

──────

"Virginia has one of the lowest kidnapping rates in the country," Emily says, opening up another file from the boxes stacked between her and Jane.

Jane looks up from the file she'd started skimming, humming lowly. "I'm sure that makes it more of a spectacle when it does happen,"

Emily nods in agreement before gesturing to the TV hung up above the bullpen. Jane turns to look at it, standing beside Emily as the anchor starts to speak in that practiced solemn voice of theirs.