FIVE

i have this some of the time

"OKAY, GUYS, I JUST GOT SAMANTHA MALCOLM'S MEDICAL RECORDS IN," Garcia takes in a deep breath, the doom in her voice noticeable from the get-go. "Oh, my god, she was doomed. Like, Emily Brontë doomed. Like Shakespeare doomed. Like, red-shirted ensign in Star Trek doomed,"

"Garcia, what happened to her?" Hotch cut off the woman's ramblings, not unkindly.

"Oh, uh, sorry– well, for the first 10 years, nothing, and then she started a battery of electroshock treatments."

Spencer's face twists up in distaste at the startling information. "At ten? Who subjects a child to that?"

"That would be her father, Dr. Arthur Malcolm,"

Jane flinches minutely at the name and she brings a hand up to cover her mouth, hiding the way her jaw clenches as she bites her tongue.

"He runs an inpatient mental health facility for troubled young people called New Lives." Garcia barely takes in a breath before continuing. "At first, the essay that Samantha wrote raised some flags, but her father explained that the therapy was to deal with the recent death of her mother,"

Jane looks up from the floor in time to see Spencer walk behind her, sparing a glance at her over his shoulder, and she quickly looks away, only to find Hotch looking at her concernedly. She silently waves him off, shaking her head once and he waits just a moment longer before looking back to the phone Garcia was talking through.

"After that, he started her on a serious regimen of antipsychotic drugs, which he weaned her off of a few years ago."

"It explains her familiarity with medication," JJ tilts her head in acknowledgement.

Emily nods in agreement, looking from the blonde back to the phone. "Where is she now?"

"Uh, her father declared her incompetent, so he's still the legal guardian, everything is in his name and all of her records list New Lives as her residence."

Jane clears her throat, dropping her hand from her chin and stuffing it in her pocket. "Inpatient facilities have around the clock monitoring, there's hardly any privacy for patients. She wouldn't be able to keep her victims at New Lives, so there's got to be a secondary location she's able to hold them in for months at a time."

Hotch nods in agreement with her words, shifting his stance. "Garcia, what about real estate holdings in her father's name?"

Garcia's fingers are audibly clicking through the speaker before she speaks again. "None in just his own, but New Lives has a bunch of outpatient and halfway houses all over town."