SEVEN

i taste blood

i taste blood

"ARE YOU FINDING THIS FUNNY?"

Jane raised a brow, not bothering to hide her grin as she watched the scene play out before her. "Are you asking if I find it funny that you go toe to toe with the bad guys almost every week, but you can't get your toddler to eat his dinner? Yes, Aaron, I am absolutely floored. This is the best thing to ever happen to me,"

Hotch glares weakly at her, sitting back in his seat at the dining table as Jack stubbornly ignores his bowl of chicken alfredo. "Last week, this was his favorite meal. This week, he wants nothing to do with it."

"Kids are great, really," Jane turns to look at Jack, making a silly face at him when he meets her gaze. The little boy laughs at her and she looks back to Aaron with a sigh as she digs into her own meal. "I gotta say, though, Jack, you're missing out. This chicken is really good. If you're not going to eat yours, I'll take it,"

Jack's face twists into something unhappy at the thought, and he grabs his bowl, pulling it away from Jane's outreaching hands.

Holding her hands up in surrender, Jane huffs. "I thought you didn't like chicken alfredo, Jack,"

"I do," He huffs, pouting at her as Hotch hides his smile. "It's mine, Jane,"

"Be nice to Jane," Hotch intones, shaking his head as his son digs into his meal finally. "She's just teasing you."

Jack still looks unhappy at the entire ordeal and Jane snorts as she twists some pasta around her fork and takes a pointed bite of it while looking at him.

"And don't antagonize him,"

She freezes at being caught, offering him an innocent shrug that isn't convincing in the slightest. "Just showing off how great of a chef you are,"

"I'm sure," Hotch huffs, taking a drink of his water. "How's the lab been?"

"I thought we didn't talk about work at the dinner table,"

"We don't talk about my work at the dinner table, because it's much less appetizing than yours," He corrects her quickly, smiling when she rolls her eyes.

"Technically, our work is the same now,"

He raises a brow, giving her a pointed look. "Technically, you're being a smartass right now,"

Jack gasps lightly, covering his ears in scandal. "Daddy said a bad word!"

Hotch gives his son an apologetic look, nodding. "I'm very sorry, Jack, I was just teasing Jane."

Jack, seemingly forgetting his own transgressions with Jane just moments before, lays a tiny hand on top of Jane's, frowning at Aaron. "Don't be mean to my sister, Dad,"