Rumours

Shoto was scrolling through his phone as he waited for Dabi to get back from a grocery run. Taking part in his favorite pastime by seeing if anyone else was talking about Dabi's heroics.

Still nothing huh...

Shoto sighed, a little bummed that Dabi wasn't getting recognized as Pyre.

I guess that makes sense though, Aizawa only lets him fight quirkless since he doesn't have a license yet. Although he did get permission for that one robbery since it was an emergency...

Shoto turned off his phone, moving toward the TV to pass the time instead.

He probably won't get recognized for a while since he said he'll be working under Aizawa so he doesn't draw attention to himself...

Shoto knew that Dabi was technically going to be an underground hero after the exam. That meant the only thing the public would know about him was his hero name.

He said we'd start our agency after I graduate though so maybe then-

"...and now we have an exclusive interview with the president of the HPSC, Madam President."

Shoto paused as the TV got his attention, watching silently as a white woman in a black suit and ash blond hair appeared on the screen.

The interviewer smiled politely as she began the questioning, "Hello Madam President, thank you for coming in today. It's a pleasure to have you on our new station."

Madam nodded, looking bored as the interviewer shuffled awkwardly, "Well let's get started!"

The interviewer took out a few pages, questions no doubt written on them, "As you all know the Annual Hero's Licensing Exam will take place in a week, and rumors have it that it's going to be different from previous years. Is there any validity behind these claims?"

Shoto's eyes widened, also having heard those rumors from online theorists... and Asui who told him straight up during class yesterday.

Is it going to be different?

His question was answered a second later as Madam cleared her throat, embodying sophistication as she spoke, "While I usually don't like to put faith in rumors, we were indeed looking to change the exam this year. Specifically, the commissioners at HPSC have found that it would be in the best interest of the general public to increase the difficulty of the exam."

Shoto's eyes widened as the interviewer mirrored him, the news coming as a shock to everyone that heard it.

They're making it more difficult?

The Hero Licensing Exam was already notoriously difficult. Thousands of people every year attempted to become heroes, but every year the pass rate was at most 3 %. The fact that they were making it harder...

Is Dabi gonna be okay?

He fidgeted a little at the thought, the sound of the door opening brought him out of his thoughts.

"Hey Sho, I got groceries."

Dabi closed the door behind him and set the bags on the counter, pausing as he saw Shoto sitting in front of the TV.

"Hey Sho, what's going on?"

Shoto paused at Dabi's question, opening his mouth to tell him before the television cut him off.

"I think all the viewers at home would like to know how exactly you plan to increase the difficulty of the exam. Is there any way you could give us any insider knowledge?"